Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kroc

Breathable Waders VS. Neoprene Waders

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I own both these type of waders, the Neoprene variety I've had for about 8 years. I've noticed when they get wet they are almost like a sponge and take a long time to dry out. Should they be repelling water similar to the breathable waders? Could the age have something to do with this? I'm thinking of sticking with the breathable even in colder weather and just layering up heavy underneath. Any input on this would be appreciated.

IMO - breathables are the way to go and like you said just layer up when it gets colder. I was in a similar spot 8-9 years ago and have no regrets.........way more comfortable and dry in no time. I let my buds use the older neoprenes if they do not have any waders.

JimD

I'm thinking Neoprene waders are great on those really cold days when you are baitfishing, but any kind of fishing that requires wading above the knee, breathables are the way to go.

IMO - breathables are the way to go and like you said just layer up when it gets colder. I was in a similar spot 8-9 years ago and have no regrets.........way more comfortable and dry in no time. I let my buds use the older neoprenes if they do not have any waders.

JimD

What JimD said ^^^^

Neoprene are somewhat restrictive and can get too hot. My 0.02

I wish they'd put a zipper in those things. Having to tap your root with those things on is a pain in the ass. I made the mistake of going fishing Saturday afternoon after "Beers, Burgers & Bloodys" at Harpon Willy's. I waited as long as I could but eventually, had to drop the waders at ocean's edge. People on the boardwalk were yelling out that they saw the Loch Ness monster! :D

While I have both, I rarely use my Neos anymore. I save them for the spring in the back in waist deep cold water. Most of the time I cook in them out front whether it's spring or fall. Breathables with sweat pants has worked through December here in NJ. I do wear 3 pairs of socks though as cold feet were the only complaint. A pair of dress socks, crew socks and some heavy ski socks does me fine. The breathables dry fast, are light weight, and easier to get in and out of. Try it, you'll like it. :)

Breathables in my mind are the best way to go....I have two pairs from cabelas.....both are boot foot with one a light weight pair I use when I have to hoof it a long way with the other pair a bit heavier when I spend more time in the water...wear a pair of wickers under them.

Ill go against the grain here. I tend to get cold, especially my feet, so keeping my legs warm is key for me. I have a cheap pair of 3.5mm Proline Neos and I use them a ton. Trout fishing in January and February, as well as the spring and fall out front I have never gotten exceedingly hot. I like to stay warm and dry :)

BTW I usually put a pair of coldgear leggings on and a pair of sweatpants with smartwool socks. Money!