Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DarterMan

A DIFFERENT kind of VS and ZB thread

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

OK folks, I REALLY would love to see this thread stay on track – yes, I CAN dream, most likely it will go straight into the “X is just better than Y” direction but I have to at least give it a shot here…

I own six Van Staals, ranging in size from the VS100 up to an “ancient” VS300 I bought when the reel first came out. Each one of them has served me flawlessly and I have no reason at the moment to part with any of them. None of them need any repair, no leaks, no bad bearings etc. All perfect.

Since the ZeeBaas is, like it or not, the “new kid on the block” as compared to the Van Staal I wanted to get some feedback from people that own the former, specifically:

1. Before you bought a ZeeBaas, did you already own a Van Staal or was the ZB your first “high end” surf reel?

2. What lead you to choose the ZB over the VS?

3. For those of you who ALREADY owned VS’s, what about the ZB do you find preferable to the VS? What do you find LESS desirable? Please try to be objective here – saying something like “the reel is smoother” or “it is more prone to breakage than the X” or even “I like the serviceability of X over Y” is objective, whereas “The X is just a better reel” or “the X sucks!” is subjective. Please try to QUANTIFY your answers.

The reason I’m asking these questions is because I currently see no reason to buy a ZB if and when one of my VS’s crap out. I’m looking for quantifiable reasons to either buy ANOTHER VS or replace the “downed” reel with a ZB. What would sway me in that direction (aside from just trying “something different”)?

Thanks.

All good questions. Specifically to your bullet points;

1: Yes, I owned VS reels before my first ZB

2: A couple fishing buddies had already bought the ZB and sang nothing but praises about them.

3: After purchasing my first ZB, I found the drag to be far superior in that it was much smoother and finer adjustability. It didn't have the jerky drag that many of my VS reels experienced. It seemed with the VS I always ended up with not enough drag or too much where the ZB allowed more linear adjustments. I did have fewer sand issues with the VS reels, but never really had much of the trouble that some other ZB owners complained about. I always found that a good dunking cleared any sand out without too much trouble. The VS reels are a bit lighter if that matters to you. To me the ZB aren't that much heavier to make much of a difference. One of the biggest factors for me is the warranty on the ZB compared to VS. I don't like the fact that if I buy a used VS I have to "buy" the warranty even if it is one that carries a lifetime warranty. So in other words, if I buy a used VS that was made when they carried a lifetime warranty, in order to maintain that warranty in my name, I need to send the reel to VS. Even if the reel is in pristine condition, I'm going to get a bill for $150 minimum or possibly more from my experience. They will replace parts regardless of wear just so you "buy" the warranty. ZB doesn't practice this policy. They will service the reel for you and only charge you for seals and cleaning if nothing needs replacing and will transfer the warranty into the new owners name. Another biggie with me is that the ZB is much easier to self service and will not void my warranty if I want to service it myself instead of sending it in. ZB also has a much quicker turn around time for service than ZB.

I am not saying VS is a bad reel at all. In fact, they are an extremely capable surf fishing reel and have proven themselves with time. I think the ZB, even though as you call it, "the new kid on the block" has also been around long enough now that it can be considered time proven. Others will have differing opinions than me and that's fine. Everyone likes what they like. For me, ZB is the one.

I own a ZeeBaas, Yes this was my first high end reel. 3 years later I got a van staal. They are both fantastic and tough reels! The engineering on both reels is revolutionary. I like them equally.

But I will say that the drag system on the ZeeBaas is absolutely better. No question.

The reasoning behind me purchasing a ZeeBaas, was, i got tired of my penn reels breaking down, So a buddy of mine happened to be friends with rob from ZeeBaas and Suggested that this reel would solve the problem and i got the reel for 650$ brand new. :D And i also liked how cool the reel looked too. But for what i paid how could you pass that up?

Then I got My Van Staal this past season, I bought it just to have a new toy. It turns out that i actually like the VS too. It's a nice reel, it is........But i just think the drag system needs to be improved.

I own six Van Staals, .................. All perfect.

The reason I’m asking these questions is because I currently see no reason to buy a ZB if and when one of my VS’s crap out.

Sounds like you have answered your own question already. Pretty hard to beat "perfect".

As I see it, you would be a fool to buy a ZB. If it didn't meet expectations you would be unhappy, yet if it proved better your eyes would be opened to the imperfections of your six VS's and you would again be unhappy. It is a loose-loose proposition as long as you are this heavily invested in VS's and are sure they are perfect for what you do.

I haved owned 2 VS's in the past ,the only reason i got rid of them was I could never get use to a bailless reel at 64 I guess it's true, that it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. I bought a ZB25 with a bail and have to agree with everything that bopsa said. I would add that the line lay on the spool is a bit more uniform when retreived at any speed and any weight the braid dose not dig in and makes for a very smooth cast . I guess it's a new school, old school thing but I love my ZB25 and use it a lot more than I've ever used my VS's

Sounds like you have answered your own question already. Pretty hard to beat "perfect".

As I see it, you would be a fool to buy a ZB. If it didn't meet expectations you would be unhappy, yet if it proved better your eyes would be opened to the imperfections of your six VS's and you would again be unhappy. It is a loose-loose proposition as long as you are this heavily invested in VS's and are sure they are perfect for what you do.

I don't think I - or anyone else for that matter - can ever be considered foolish for just considering the supposedly "greener" grass. As I said earlier, I have no need to buy a ZB, but not everything we buy is based upon need.

Also, while I am very happy with my VS's and I find them "perfect" for what I do, there's nothing wrong with wondering what the lure of the ZB is aside from it just being a next gen "high end" reel - right ;) ?

From what I have seen so far, the thing people really like more about the ZB than the VS is the smoother drag - that's something I think we can ALL more or less objectively quantify. I noticed the VS's DO tend to "stutter" sometimes when fairly new. I have found that using that really sticky "peanut butter" grease you can get from Newell smooths them out.

Keep the input coming folks - and THANK YOU :D

Still sounds to me like you are looking to convince yourself there is nothing to gain with a ZB over a VS.

And most of the time you would be right.

They both do the same job well and the line lay, drag, and gear mesh advantages of the ZB are no big deal.

There are two other advantages that I find important, but probably don't matter to most.

The ZB allows smaller diameter spool choices. This, if you know what you are doing, lets you build surf rods that start with collector guides as small as 16M and build a rod that is far nicer to fish than a club built with the usual 40mm collector.

The ZB is relatively easy to inspect and repair yourself (including the main seal). All sealed reels fail at some point and if that point is during an important part of the season then having a reel you can fix rather than send out is a BIG plus. It does require you to keep some parts on hand, but the peace of mind such self-sufficiency provides is an advantage to the ZB. Then again if you already own 6 reels having one out of the rotation is no big deal.

Finally, that ZB has moved manufacture back to the US is a an issue that would mean something to me.

Honestly (dont take the this wrong way I own 7 VS 100-275) there really isnt a valid reason to own 6 or 7 vs's so stop messing with yourself and buy the zeebaas, you know youre going to anyway. I havent fished it. as I said I fish VS's and love them. They have performed well and I dont baby them, fish rocks and sand they none have ever let me down. That being said I will get a zeebass. Like you said nothing worng with wanting to see what else is out there. This stuff is expensive but other than fishing I dont have any other bad habits so why not.

If you own that many Van Staal's I say go for it. Now you'll have another great reel and won't keep thinking about it. I have 3 Van Staal reels and love them but my favorite is still the 706....... I say go for it....

I owned 4 VS reels , 200- 250's and a 275 , my problem was service with the VS company . I had to replace 4 line rollers in 2 years plus the normal service with the warranty they still sent me a bill for over $100 . So i sold all my VS's except the 275 ( that is for sale ) and now i own 4 ZeeBaas - ZX 27's that i have had for 3 years , NO PROBLEMS at all . They all have duel line rollers , and i can do all the service and yearly maintenace myself, its very easy. And as soon as i sell my last VS275 i will buy another ZX27. Very happy with the ZB office, they are nice to talk to if you have any ques. Pete :)