Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hairyjig

flys roling??

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Probably the way the material is distributed in the vertical plane, too much on the bottom will make the fly want to turn over.

JC

Also the platform the fly fly was built on, I am talking hook. More fibers,materials on the fly need more keeling weight via heavier hook .I have found that most commercially ties such as umqua and enricos toys they just roll when stripped to fast.

Thanks guy, Im still new to fly tying. I mostly tie deceivers and flat-wings and im using Mustad 34007 from size 1/0 to 3/0 because they are fairly cheap and available. Any recommendations on other hooks that are a little heavier and will keel a little better?

Eagle Claw L067 is another option, sharp, strong, carbon steel, and inexpensive, available at Cabela's. They are a little limited on available sizes though.

JC

Eagle Claw L067 is another option, sharp, strong, carbon steel, and inexpensive, available at Cabela's. They are a little limited on available sizes though.

JC

Another vote for the L067, and I'm very picky about what I tie on. Just a good no frills hook. The #6 & #2 are still one of my go-to bonefish & redfish hooks.

Those were originally sold as the "Billy Pate Tarpon Hook". One of a few very good hooks that Eagle Claw produced. I tied a lot of Tarpon flies on them.

I don't use a lot of EC hooks, but agree with you folks on this one! Very good hook for general saltwater tying!

Those were originally sold as the "Billy Pate Tarpon Hook". One of a few very good hooks that Eagle Claw produced.

If I'm not mistaken they weren't actually made by eagle claw, which might explain why they don't suck.

If I'm not mistaken they weren't actually made by eagle claw

I used to buy that particular hook in boxes of 1000. If EC had them made by another source, I was not aware of it. But, in today's world anything is possible. I know there were times I had a hard time getting them. I was told once that EC was busy with packaging hooks for Walmart, so was not packaging for other customers at that time! I was tying commercially then so it didn't make me very happy! :mad:

I have had some problems with some of EC's hooks in the past. Jig hooks would break when molding, and hooks used for flies that would also break way too easily. EC hooks have not been particularly sharp either, even the Lazer hooks when compared to other brands. Still, they did make some fine hooks. I still use the 253, 254, 354 hooks, and still have some of the original 067 hooks. They have "Billy Pate Tarpon" stamped on the box.

In tidal waters the belly of the flyline catches the current and flips the fly on its side ;) Also if the fly isn't weighted properly and there are strong currents it will roll and flip to its side :D