Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beret

10 more yards.....

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I need just 10 more yards to get over the bar........ I currently fish a 10' Airwave and love it but need another 10 yards to get past the bar where the stripers have been the last several weeks. My question is this....assuming the same casting technique,which is not bad, can I expect another 10 yards just moving to a 10'6 Mojo 3/4 to 4 oz. ?? I just picked the Mojo as an example.....but you get the gist of the question.....appreciate your thoughts......thanks for the positive feedback.

I use a 10' 6" 3/4 to 4 Mojo switched from a gsb 120 1m and have added distance. Maybe try smaller diameter line, work on your casting technique. I also went with 30lb. Suffix 832 from 50lb. Power pro. I love the setup...

I've said this a 1000 times! You can have the best set up in the world but it will only be as good as the Caster. The newer rods & reels today help Longer Spools ETC . Also like ststed above your line may be to heavy.

Like the old saying goes " If you want to get to Carnegie Hall, Practice.Practice,Practice"!

Sometimes I will fish with the Breakaway Omega rod instead of a St Croix Legend. No doubt the Omega adds a solid 10 yards to the cast and lets me reach fish that I would not have reached with the Legend (or for that mater the Mojo). The difference in the two rods is like night and day.

About the line, from my experience the 30 lb braid vs 50 makes a huge difference in distance.

I need just 10 more yards to get over the bar........ I currently fish a 10' Airwave and love it but need another 10 yards to get past the bar where the stripers have been the last several weeks. My question is this....assuming the same casting technique,which is not bad, can I expect another 10 yards just moving to a 10'6 Mojo 3/4 to 4 oz. ?? I just picked the Mojo as an example.....but you get the gist of the question.....appreciate your thoughts......thanks for the positive feedback.

If you get the century 10'6, 1265 rod, from century rods, you'll get well over 10 more yards past that bar, I'd say 30 yds more past the bar, I guarantee it, the rod is a catapult. You don't need the st croix's, Century is the way to go! And if ya want a little more distance, spool your reel up with suffix 832, 20lb test! ;)

Will the Mojo 10'6" or the Century 1265 handle Ava 47 jigs? They weigh w/ surgical tail 3.9 oz.. I too looking for 10-30yds. Currently using a 1201L w/ a Spheros 8K w/ 30lb Stren braid. experienced this @ IBSP for the last 3 trips. Fish just out of range. Unforunately I only use this set occassionally so I don't want to break the bank on a fast action rod. The L is my go to rod for eelin. i was casting to my backing with was 90 yds of braid. Top shot enough for rock fishing so I had a handle how for I was casting the jig.

Will the Mojo 10'6" or the Century 1265 handle Ava 47 jigs? They weigh w/ surgical tail 3.9 oz.. I too looking for 10-30yds. Currently using a 1201L w/ a Spheros 8K w/ 30lb Stren braid. experienced this @ IBSP for the last 3 trips. Fish just out of range. Unforunately I only use this set occassionally so I don't want to break the bank on a fast action rod. The L is my go to rod for eelin. i was casting to my backing with was 90 yds of braid. Top shot enough for rock fishing so I had a handle how for I was casting the jig.

no way you are effectively casting 3.9 oz withe the 3/4-4 mojo, I own the mojo 3/4-4 and the premier 3/4-4 and share a VS 200 on both of them.

the mojo is great from 1/2 to 2 1/2 oz with the sweet spot being 2-2.5. the premier doesn't do the lighter stuff as well; 1-3 oz is its zone and it does a pencil better than the mojo.

Maybe the mojo 2-6 would be better casting almost 4 oz especially a tin as mojo line of rods' action is more medium /fast than the faster action of the premier.

30 lb suffix 832 I would say is going to help with your casting distances, hope that helps

If your throwing 3.9 oz you need a fast action rod, Instead of an1201 L you really should have an 1201 m to handle the load of heavy lures or jigs. You'll get more distance with a stiffer (Fast) rod, when it comes to casting heavy.

EB Harvey,I have a 560 PENN Slammer with 30# Power pro on the 10' Airwave........cast pretty well....just can't get past that last wave.......
Beret, get rid of the power pro, And get the suffix 832, 20# test line. The 832 suffix is more round in diameter and casts a hell of a lot smoother than power pro. I promise you that you will reach beyond that bar. That's why i switched over to that line for better casting distance. And 20# test will handle big fish, I know from experience , It's powerful line and is laced with flourocarbon which is stronger, never had a break off and i cast way further since i switched over to that line. You'll be very pleased. ;)

Have your line changed to YGK Ultra2 Cast Man #3 (47lb), or Daiwa UVF #3 (50lb), or Varivas Avani SMP Casting #3 (50lb). I'm sure you will gain the extra 10 yards hands down.

I have also noticed that casting with a Mojo/legend you don't have to muscle it, meaning a well thought out firm but not powerful cast will get you more distance(hope that makes sense) I heard the same thing about 10lb. Suffix and the only reason I wouldn't do it is because of line diameter(1 mistake and your finger is done) 30lb. Is fine(for me at least) I am new to the Mojo/century/cts rod types and am so far impressed. I am/was a Lami guy since my first one in 1982. It was tough making the switch(I got the Mojo in a trade with Martin067) and never looked back. I'll be getting a Legend 10' 6 3/4 to 4 over the winter because of the lifetime warranty. How about this, get a wetsuit and swim for it....