Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveCap

Baseboard heat. Copper/PEX?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I just mounted a couple of lengths of 3/4" copper baseboard in one of the rooms in my basement.

I have to finish the tie in to the furnace. Any pros/cons on using PEX ? I'm considering it for ease of routing. If I can, are the shark bit connectors ok to link the copper to PEX?

Thanks in advance

DC

Not far. I have to go verticle about 7 feet and then about 12 feet across, pependicular to the joists which is why I'm thinking of it. If I run copper I'll have to stay below the joists. With the PEX I figure I can drill the holes and feed it through. Am I thinking this out correctly? How about those shark bite connectors?

And thank you.

How big is this loop? You can only run so far with pex before you have flow problems. I normally use 5/8" inside diameter or 3/4" OD to go along with a standard 3/4" Baseboard. I can run safely 300' before I have flow problems. If you have an old gravity system with over-sized black iron piping and large radiators and you try to introduce pex into the system? You will have flow problems. If you try to add a new zone with heat pex to an old gravity system and large volume radiators you may have a flow problem.

If you use Pex in a heating system make sure it has an "Oxygen Barrier". Standard Pex for domestic water should not be used in a heating system. Without the Oxy Barrier you will rot out your boiler and other controls prematurely.

SharkBite fittings by Cash Acme are approved for hydronic heating up to 200 degrees. I would recommend to solder the Pex transition fitting to 3/4 copper as opposed to slip on "No Solder" fittings by Sharkbite. Expansion and contraction can be an issue over time and lead to leaks. I would leave all pex fittings ready accessible and not buried in a wall. Keep all Pex minimum 3' from any heat direct heat source and metallic flues/ draft hoods.

Run hangers every 18" on the horizontal 48" on the vertical..

I have used the shark bite connectors on PEX and copper, they work fine though I get queasy about hiding then in walls and ceilings.. They are expensive, and you may still have to do some copper at the radiator and to the manifold.

:v:

Notch the bottom of the joists and use copper.

Never notch the bottom of a joist!

Since the bottom 1/3 of the joist is in tension, when you notch, you seriously de-rate it's load carrying ability.

Never notch the bottom of a joist!

Since the bottom 1/3 of the joist is in tension, when you notch, you seriously de-rate it's load carrying ability.

OK then, for get that! :D