Followers 0
li fisherman

feedback please

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

[ATTACHMENT=3237]photo-1.JPG (3,479k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=3238]photo-2.JPG (3,216k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=3239]photo-4.JPG (3,299k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

i tied these up today and would love some feedback i am still working on getting the head size down let me know what i can do to make them better all help is apreciated thanks in advance

I think the jigs and siwash hook look really good. The teasers are a little full for me. I would not use so much material for a general pattern teaser or fly. Just a guess, but did you tie the teasers after you tied the jigs? In the same sitting?

Other than my personal preference for using less material in your ties, I think they look good. Thanks for sharing.

thanks and yeah they were tied in the same sitting

do you think a better thread would reduce the head size, i am using some rod building thread i have left over if i switch to smaller thread what would you guys recomend they just opened an orvis near me and i was wondering what i should look for a thread

The right tools for the right job. You wouldn't use your pocket knife as a screwdriver would you? Sure it'd work, but why not go out and get a screwdriver? Especially if you plan on doin' a lot of screwin'.

I agree 100% with Sax! The thread you are using is not want you want to use for tying teasers or flies. I have tied some Bucktail Jigs with it but it isn't may favorite thread. To thick IMO

A lot of my ties after I wrap the shank with thread I use fine Uni Mono. It is super thin & works well hiding any mistakes!

After I am pretty well finished tying the Fly or Teaser I will whip finish the Mono & then I will get what ever color thread I choose to finish the head. ( I like using Danville's Flat Waxed Nylon)

Good heavy thread for hair work. Ties flat and very strong. Covers quickly.

210 denier, approximately size A.

100 yard spool

You don't need a lot of thread. If your worried about the hair pulling or falling out use a little head cement or clear nail polish on your material after each step. Remember the less material & the less thread you use the smaller the head will be.

The do look good & with a little pratice they will look even better. Good Job!

I to was playing around today myself! When you have 5 cracked Ribs you are limited on what you can do! :(

I agree with what these others have said, but nothing wrong with having some flies or teasers dressed a bit more heavily too. Sometimes, you'll want some that push a bit of water. They'll still catch some fish!

Another vote here for the Danville Flat Waxed Nylon, although I use their Depth Ray a lot too, which is the same thread in fluorescent colors and without wax. (great for Shad flies) I guess they still call it Depth Ray, I've got a good supply & have not bought any in awhile. Anyway, point is it ties flat so it won't bulk up too much as flytyingguy1 said.

I also use the mono threads a lot too, good stuff when you want translucence. It's something I prefer for Clouser Minnows or Flats type flies. You can get mono sewing thread at most sewing or fabric stores & some crafts shops. It's usually a bit less money than the fly tying mono & sometimes more thread per spool. Same stuff, works just as well!

Rod building thread is OK for large jigs, use it while you have it !

What you've done looks good so far, keep at it, the more you do the better they'll look! :th:

thanks alot guys what type of mono do you recommend i did a search and looked like regular craft store mono thread was the way to go besides that orvis diddnt have any but it has broken on every hook i have tied

wow ron those look great especially with 5 crack ribs i hope yuo feel better soon