Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael P

Little Hunting Today

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

In the spirit of BillyBob's thread to bring manliness back to the Tavern I offer my morning:

Very long time friend of mine has been trying to get me to go goose hunting with him for years. Lots of stuff going on in life recently that has me coming to the realization that the window is on it's way down, and all of the things that have been put on hold because I am "too busy" are once again important.

Beautiful morning, set out the decoys in the dark, got in our blinds and we did not have to wait long. First flight comes right in and on command I jump up and get a double, one other guy nails a double and my buddy puts down a triple. I'm hooked! Damn things don't want to die though. I chased one about 150 yards, shot it twice on the run and it still hissed at me when I finally got to it.

[img=

p><p>  <a href=[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2481702/width/504/height/302]

Then the truck got stuck in the field. Luckily the other guy had his truck and he snagged a couple chains from the farmer and we got it out after it was up to the runningboards.

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2481704/width/302/height/504]

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2481705/width/504/height/302' alt='302'>

I sent the picture of me holding the brace and when I got home my MIL commented at how it must have been so easy with all the geese just standing around us. Um, Mom, those are the decoys. Ohhhhhhhhhhh! :)

:laugh: When shooting a shotgun, the only thing I can hit is the broad side of a barn. :laugh:

7/13/10

On a goose hunt in a California rice marsh I witnessed the perfect shot.

The hunter was wearing waders and standing in water ~ 3' deep.

Way up high, the geese flew over and he shot one.

As if on an invisible guidewire, the goose corkscrewed straight down and splashed into the water about 20 feet from where the hunter was standing.

:clap: A perfect shot if ever I saw one.:clap:

:laugh: When shooting a shotgun, the only thing I can hit is the broad side of a barn. :laugh:

7/13/10

On a goose hunt in a California rice marsh I witnessed the perfect shot.

The hunter was wearing waders and standing in water ~ 3' deep.

Way up high, the geese flew over and he shot one.

As if on an invisible guidewire, the goose corkscrewed straight down and splashed into the water about 20 feet from where the hunter was standing.

:clap: A perfect shot if ever I saw one.:clap:

One of the ones I doubled up on landed at the foot of my blind. I thought that was pretty cool too :th:

Best to go back and replace your divots in the field if you haven't already done so. The farmer might also appreciate a nice picked goose. Looks like a great day. :th:

Way to go Mike;

If the birds come in close, jump up when their wings are locked. Take your time and pick the bird/s you want. Take the first one and take your time again to pick out the second.

Cover it with the barrel and shoot it. I know very well how exciting it can be to rise on the "Take'em" command and see the sky full of honking geese. They are not that fast so just ease into it.

I am glad to see that you are deciding to enjoy life a bit.