Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishinKid007

I almost lost my VS today!

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Not by dirtbag thiefs, but my own stupidity!

I have a pvc rack in the truck bed and I place the poles at 45 degrees. I always lock the leader clip on the pole's largest guide. I have done this for many years, but today, the line must have come off the bailess reel, and the wind must have blown it out in the back of the truck!:confused: When I got home, the reel only had about 20 turns of power pro 50# :shock: The line was cut appr. 12 " from the reel.

I am just thinking now, what could have happened? How did I lose the 60 lb clip hanging from the pole guide? How did the line get cut? Was I lucky that the pole did not break? Thank God I always place a heavy gauge wire in one of the the VS gaps and I tie it to the pole holder. I am imagining my fishing line all over the highway, wrapped around the antenna of some car 200 yards behind me, maybe it got snaged around a tree on 27!!:shock:

The pole seems fine and the guides look fine too, and the VS seems to be fine for now. I will be testing it soon.

In the future I will make a few turns of the line around the VS body so this does not happen again.

I wonder if anyone had a similar story?

I had the clip locked on the guide.

I think what hapened was, the line started to come off the spool because I have a bailess reel. Then it bowed out like a huge laso going out in the back of the truck. It mush have snagged on cars, trees, hopefully not pedestrians!

I just saw another post in the Hatteras thread of a guy who actually lost his rod/reel as it flew out of the truck. I think he may have had a similar situation, but I always tie the reel to the pvc pipe.

That reminds me of a time I was driving to one of my old fishing haunts early one morning. As I got close to the beach my Jeep's antena gets wrapped up in some mono. I stopped just before it snapped it off and proceded to follow the line. As I walked along I was hoping for a nice plug on the end, maybe a rod and reel! Had to be 100 yds of line and at the terminus was... a fluke rig stuck in a branch. :( Oh well. I didn't get a plug or rod & reel, but wrapped it all up and dropped it in the trash before any homeowners got wrapped up in it. This area was private and access was by permit. Didn't want to jeopardize that!

Just a couple of things:

I never clip a snap, lure,hook to the feet of a guide. It goes to the reel handle. First you'll never damage the guide, which is kind of fragile to begin with. The other thing is with the snap on the foot; the swivel at the top of your leader is now left to vibrate against your blank any where you drive, creating a weak spot on your rod. Hundreds of trips to the beach or out east at highway speeds and that area of your rod has been rat-tat-tated thousands of time creating a weak spot. First good fish or heavy cast and snapo! My rods are over head in Jimmy's Rod Vaults. That spring loaded clip keeps everything from coming un-done. Number one rule do not become undone.

Carry your rods on top of your truck, if you can afford a VS or Zeebass than you can afford a rack with some rod vaults, and you will probably pass them on to your children, which is more than can be said for your portfolio.

I was walking down the canal service road once and had my VS and rod over my shoulder. After about 200 yards later I feel the rod dip. I look back and I have laid out about 200 yards of line. I was lucky it was like 2am and not many people were around. I just reeled and walked back. I had no tangles and the line held up fine all night. I was lucky, but must have looked like a bozo.