Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

Blue Bullets

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

This is the time of year that most of the bass have left our shore lines[some, however are still around}

The first small pollock arrived inside the ditch several weeks ago[[average length about 5 inches] Now these small fish can be very tasty in a chowder or pan fried. It does take a little time to fillet them.

The advent of the pollock brings our blue bullets in to feed as well. Most have remained outside of the east end entrance , but signs of them showing inside have begun to bring a few out to see if they can catch a few.

Look for the top of the east, west change and the bottom of the west east change for the best opportunity at this time. Both sides of the east end should be looked at for a place to set up and fish.

Small flies or sabigy rigs have been working when they come in. Nothing is steady at this time, but who knows if you put in a lot of time what will happen.

Those that fish for the blue mackerel will meet a different type of fisherman that for the most part are friendly folks. One does not need a meat stick to enjoy this type of fishing and it is a great way to introduce youngsters to our sport, even if the fishing may not be great.

I know that patients is needed and with patients who knows what can happen.

I love catching harbour pollack.....once they start to weigh 1-2 pounds they can really fight......Its to bad the big ones stay offshore.....I grilled some tinkers I caught and they tasted very good!...I wonder how they would taste pickled?.......

.......I grilled some tinkers I caught and they tasted very good!...I wonder how they would taste pickled?.......

On the Cooking your Catch thread there are recipies for Pickled Bluefish and Salmon Gravlox both of which I'm sure can be used with tinker mackeral.

I've made salmon gravlox several times, and it was excellent. I tried it with bluefish twice, and it was a miserable failure.

Smoked mackerel however.......:th::drool::love:

Mackerel is definitely my favorite eating fish. It is excellent raw as sashimi, smoked, pickled, or just lightly seared. Also, the roe is super cool to salt and completely dry into bottarga.

Mackerel is definitely my favorite eating fish. It is excellent raw as sashimi, smoked, pickled, or just lightly seared. Also, the roe is super cool to salt and completely dry into bottarga.

Bottarga......:drool:

Bottarga......:drool:

mackerel roe and squid ink. two things so often thrown away by local anglers and two things that can come together to make some of the best pasta dishes in the world.

I was fishing today at mouth of one of the Sandwich creeks for stripers (no luck there) but did see some activity offshore a bit - and was wonder if perhaps they were mackerel....This activity was in the form of birds working over three distinct spots about 50-100 yards offshore...but I didn't notice any splashing at all

I was fishing today at mouth of one of the Sandwich creeks for stripers (no luck there) but did see some activity offshore a bit - and was wonder if perhaps they were mackerel....This activity was in the form of birds working over three distinct spots about 50-100 yards offshore...but I didn't notice any splashing at all

Prehaps the macks were chasing young sea herring.........I looked for squid and smelt tonite and noticed there was still a lot of small sea herring under the lights at the bulkhead in sandwich..........

I had the pleasure of fishing yesterday with one of the canals best long distance caster. This gentle giant is in a class all by himself, when it comes to making the trip to fish that are out of the reach for most folks who fish the canal. Bull was out trying his luck with the blue bullets and I was the benefactor of his single fish before he left.

The time has come to try your luck along the east end of the ditch as a few bullets are shifting in from the waters of Cape Cod bay.

It is still best to have small flies on the rig you use. I did manage a double after Bull left. The size of the fish are decent med to large. At this time you should be able to find plenty of room to set and try for them. A few others had better luck and perhaps that will bode well into the weeks ahead

Patience and plenty of casting works the best, see you on the water some where

small white flies stripped fast or swung with a downstream mend have always done it for me.

guys fishing for them should remember NOT to handle the fish if you're going to return them, as handling removes the protective film of any pelagic fish and they die of infections fyi...

... The advent of the pollock brings our blue bullets in to feed as well. Most have remained outside of the east end entrance , but signs of them showing inside have begun to bring a few out to see if they can catch a few. ... Those that fish for the blue mackerel will meet a different type of fisherman that for the most part are friendly folks.

ahhh, i'm a bit confused about these fish.

is "blue mackerel" a local term?

everything i find regarding "blue mackerel" indicates they are a pacific species of mackerel.

thanks for whatever clarification you can give.