Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Need a gunsmith or gun repair guy

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have a small project I'm going to work on this winter, and I'll need the services of a gunsmith or a gun repair guy.

I have an ancient Remington 1100 Special Field model that hasn't seen use in decades. I'd like to convert it over to be my new turkey gun. My old scoped 1100 is just too heavy to carry around these days. The Special Field is overall shorter, lighter, and has a 24" barrel with tubes.

However, the gun needs work. It's action is very slow. It shoots, but doesn't always eject the spent shell. I'm pretty sure it just needs to be stripped and broken down and each part brushed and cleaned. But, while I'm good at taking them apart, putting them back together is another matter. :o

Anyone know someone?

bob, what type of loads do you shoot? reason I ask is that a lighter gun may be a bit more painful to shoot heavy turkey loads out of... the recoil from the turkey loads i shoot are immense, but i'm shooting a pump...and though the gas operated action on an 1100 attenuates the recoil a bit, gun weight has the biggest influence on felt recoil. maybe recoil isn't an issue for you, just thought i'd bring it up. something to consider before you spend some money on smithy. :)  usually, felt recoil is irrelevant when game is in front of you, but it can matter a bit more at the range sighting in though. 

Dave,

The loads I shoot are a standard 12ga, 2 3/4", #4 buffered copper coated turkey load. I've shot these loads through this gun before. Agreed, it will recoil more than the gun I presently hunt turkey with. But it's not like I'll be shooting many rounds.

The gun I've been shooting for the past 20 years is an ancient (1966) Rem 1100, fitted with a 1.75-4 power Bushnell scope. It's just too heavy, even on a sling, when you consider how much we walk chasing spring toms. My plan is to get this gun functional, and put some of those "glow style" rifle sights on it. The gun will be ~5" shorter, and at least 1.75lb lighter.

But I hear you regarding sighting in on a range. I HATE going to a range to shoot. I suck when it comes to shooting paper.:o

I have a small project I'm going to work on this winter, and I'll need the services of a gunsmith or a gun repair guy.

I have an ancient Remington 1100 Special Field model that hasn't seen use in decades. I'd like to convert it over to be my new turkey gun. My old scoped 1100 is just too heavy to carry around these days. The Special Field is overall shorter, lighter, and has a 24" barrel with tubes.

However, the gun needs work. It's action is very slow. It shoots, but doesn't always eject the spent shell. I'm pretty sure it just needs to be stripped and broken down and each part brushed and cleaned. But, while I'm good at taking them apart, putting them back together is another matter. :o

Anyone know someone?

Check your Barrel Seal, Piston and Piston Seal. When the Barrel is off, they are the 2 Steal Sleeves and 'O' Ring on the Mag. Tube. Even Money the 'O' Ring is broken.