Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quan808

Abu reel candy

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

First Abu is a winter build for my Dad. He's just getting into bull red fishing. Last year I built him an Abu Chrome 7500. This past fall he asked for another reel. He's used to fishing $20-$50 Shimano reels for a few seasons and then throwing them away so needless to say he really doesn't take care of his gear.

The right side plate is from an Abu 7200, everything else is from an Abu 7000 C3. I didn't have any used handles so he gets a new "old school" power handle.

[img=

This next pic is of an Abu 6500 chrome rocket fully decked out to a C6(6 bearings) and an Abu 7500. The 6500 has a handle that I found from a seller in England, and the 7500 has a handle that I made from an Okuma power handle.

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2479748/width/600/height/400' alt='400'>

Very nice stuff there my friend! I love the old style handles! Dad will love it.

We were fishing this past week on the boat and the bass bite was hot up top, but fish were scattered. I rigged an 8" RonZ on a jigging rod with a 6500 Rocket on it. As we trolled our umbrella rigs on trolling gear, I ran this light rig l o n g down the middle... after 6 fish, we ditched the conventional trolling gear anf trolled our light tackle! Had a few fish up to 26 pounds on them. My buddy was amazed with this tackle. Last year you helped me buy and rebuild about 5 6500s...One of them was for my buddy, He had'nt used it yet. He came home. went to Tackle Direct and bought a Star jigging rod! All reels performed flawlessly. He was amazed at how these reels can cast! Thanks for all of your help.

Thanks for the great comments guys. I got the idea to try to make some custom handles from a thread I saw here a while back, and thought this could give people a push to try something different.

Very nice stuff there my friend! I love the old style handles! Dad will love it.

We were fishing this past week on the boat and the bass bite was hot up top, but fish were scattered. I rigged an 8" RonZ on a jigging rod with a 6500 Rocket on it. As we trolled our umbrella rigs on trolling gear, I ran this light rig l o n g down the middle... after 6 fish, we ditched the conventional trolling gear anf trolled our light tackle! Had a few fish up to 26 pounds on them. My buddy was amazed with this tackle. Last year you helped me buy and rebuild about 5 6500s...One of them was for my buddy, He had'nt used it yet. He came home. went to Tackle Direct and bought a Star jigging rod! All reels performed flawlessly. He was amazed at how these reels can cast! Thanks for all of your help.

Nice reels Quan. I have a couple full blown Abus. A 6500 you did and a 7000 done by Dutch.

Your reels are just plain sick.

Frank and Bill, I'm glad you guys are Abu enthusiasts as well. Every reel pictured is approaching 20 years old. The sideplates are within a few years old, but the internals are all original parts from stock reels. I have Daiwa's and Shimano's as well, but you can't inter-change and upgrade parts like an Abu, and I doubt any will look this good and function with original parts like these reels.

I've done quite a few Abu's myself, and Ii know that besides the joy one gets from building them, one has a darned good tool to work with, when done! Very nice work!smile.gif