Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
126andy

My daughter finally got it.

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Tonight my daughter finally got it. She took me out to dinner and drinks to thank me for the service that I put in to my country. She didn't ask me anything about what happened during the Vietnam war and what I did or didn't do during those times. My guess is that she finally realized after 27 years that they weren't goods times for her dear old dad and hes been paying for it for a lot of years, I think that she now knows why I went off by myself and didn't take her with me. She told me that she understood a little of what people in the service went through at that time and after their return home. I'm glad that she finally got it before my time came to leave her because I'm feeling that we are just a little closer now that she realizes what happened all those years ago. I am happy that time have changed towards our troops and their service to our country.

that is awesome! i myself,once being in your daughters shoes,with age came wisdom,luckily before it was too late.and now, things can only get better for the both of you. thank you for your service and this post. it made my day!

This is good new Andy.May this be the beginning of a rekindled relationship for you both! God bless you and your daughter. And thank you for serving!smile.gif

Good stuff Andy. That right there just strengthened your bond with you and your daughter. Very special indeed.

I entered service just as the war was winding down, so I avoided being sent to Vietnam. Instead I was sent to Germany. Very lucky on my part. My daughter generally doesn't recognize my years of service as a sacrifice. It doesn't bother me per se, beyond the fact that a lot of younger generations do not appreciate the fact that whether one serves during a time of peace or war, you are still sacrificing your time to fight for freedom and liberties that all can share.

Thanks for your service Andy and to all who served or are currently serving.

As always Andy, thanks for your service. To date I believe that no other US campaign has ever required more or gotten more from a soldier than Vietnam. I am glad that your daughter and you have both lived long enough to be able to get some healing perspective. Here's to many years of peace.

Andy,

Thank you and all the people here on SOL and all the service people who have served this great country of ours. ;) ;) ;)

The best of luck to you and your daughter in finding one another again s well ;)

I had a superintendent on my first job with a construction company. he says to me in his gruff voice and Brooklyn accent "hey Dane...how old are you"

i said "I'm 22 Ralph"

he says "i remember where i was when i was 22...i was in the jungles of Vietnam"

ill never forget that, made me realize how petty anything i was doing at that time was...