Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jameso20o

Is this a good setup for Fluke?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Next year, I want to try gulp mullet for fluke. I was wondering, will this setup work? Or do you guys do something different? What I'm planning on doing, is having my main line, 30 lb braid, tied to a swivel, then having 2-3 feet of 30 lb mono, and tying the end of my leader to a snap or directly to the jig head I will have the gulp on.

For the best fishing for Fluke IMO is from a boat. Reason being you want your bait,Gulb,Bucktails ETC Moving.If you ever fished from a boat for Fluke you know they don't anchor they drift.

I have caught my share of Fluke from the shore using pretty much the same rig as your talking about but I put the sinker on the bottom of the rig. I then tie on 1 or 2 fluke hooks ( Kahle ) with a teaser on it,

I then attatch the gulp to the teaser hook. Most important is you want the line to be taught & always keep it moving. You will catch if you dead stick ( Just cast out & put the rod in a rod holder ) but not half of what you will if you cast out & Slowly reel back in. Also remember you'll need to hold bottom with your sinker so you may need to adjust the weight you are using..............

For the best fishing for Fluke IMO is from a boat.

???:huh:

There's plenty of good flukin' to be had from shore. As far as a moving bait, ever hear of cast and retrieve?

The rig sounds great. Id forget the swivel and tie direct with a "crazy alberto"

Not sure about the gulp. Ive had lousy luck with it vs. squid. In a pinch would be my advice.

???:huh:

There's plenty of good flukin' to be had from shore. As far as a moving bait, ever hear of cast and retrieve?

Why don't you go back & read my post again!

Quote " but not half of what you will if you cast out & Slowly reel back in." :huh:

For the best fishing for Fluke IMO is from a boat.

I do 95-99% of my fluke fishing from the shore, but I would agree 100% the best fluke fishing is from a boat. Especially if you are after bigger fish.

the biggest youll get from shore is about 18-19" and thats most likely gonna be youre only one for the trip. the rest will be shorts. some people get real lucky and pull big fluke from shore but i have yet to do that. from a party boat you its still hard to catch a keeper being that the limit is 18" but you have a shot at a 5-10 lber. however sharpies always seem to catch their limit of fluke or close to it which boggles my mind.

Thats set up will be fine. If you have a lighter set up with 15-20lb braid that would allow you to cast even further. I fluke fish from the boat, in the bay I use a light spinning set up with 10lb braid and a 20lb mono leader. I go with as small as a lead head as I can hold bottom with most of the time 1/2oz I use the kalins head, they nice sharp hooks which stick well. The gulp mullet are good, but I also love the gulp shrimp's 3" they kill! Its great going out on the boat for a few hours and not have to worry about bait a few packs of gulp get it done.

the biggest youll get from shore is about 18-19" and thats most likely gonna be youre only one for the trip.

There are tons of 18-19" fish in the surf. You can catch NY keepers and fish up to 24" from shore. I have only seen one fish bigger than 24" in the surf in the past 20 years. The last few years were terrible around here for larger fish, although I did manage two fish over 20.5" this year one day, which was nice, too bad I couldn't get out there more. As far as fish 5lbs and up go, a boat is definitely the best bet. The fish that come in closest to the shore are more athletic and less fat - I notice that deeper water fish are much, much fatter.