Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
biggstriper

What do I need to fish the Jersey Shore?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I mean license or permit-wise? I now live in Maryland but want to fish at my old haunts this fall.

Montauk and the Cape Cod Canal are too far to drive.

Thanks in advance as they say.:)

The locals have to register with the NJDEP - Saltwater Recreational Registry Program. Not sure if that applies to out-of-staters but I imagine it would. Checking the official website, stay tuned for updates.

Update - more info than you ever need to know except maybe the answer to your original question: http://www.nj.gov/dep/saltwaterregistry/faq.html

1. Go to the link at the bottom of this post.
  2. Register. It's free.
  3. Print a copy of your registration
  4. Bring it with you when you go to Jersey.
  5. Carry it with you when you fish.

That's it -- that's all ya gotta do. If you register early enough, in a few weeks you'll be mailed a handy-dandy wallet card that you can carry, rather than a computer printout. But they're both legal proof of registration, which is all ya gotta do to ply the briny in Joisey.

Good luck. Here's the registration link: http://www.nj.gov/dep/saltwaterregistry/index.html

Not sure if that applies to out-of-staters but I imagine it would.

It does. Being a Pennsylvanian, I'm technically an out-of-stater, and I had to register. It's no big deal - just go to the website, punch in your information, print a copy, and you're done.

Plus, you know the way these things shake out: if you register, you'll never get stopped and asked to show proof. If you don't, it's a mortal lock that you will. Why take a chance?

Hey, thanks guys! I was able to print out my permit. I may be able to hit the beach this weekend sometime. :)

Hold onto your hat, man! The wind machine is gonna be turned on high all weekend, evidently. What a drag.

^Correct. You have to register with the DEP. Basically NJ adopted a new law regarding a Saltwater LICENSE. The reason they did this is 2-fold.

1, they basically re-wrote the laws, the ultimate goal being that they can collect more in fines.

2, if, in the future they should decide it is not free, it already sets a precedent of already requiring the license, and noone can cry about making the license up arbitrarily.

This automatically registers you with NOAA.

I came down and cast a SS Needlefish for about a half hour early Sunday morning (1:00 AMish). The water looked too rough for the Bomber fishing I wanted to do so I didn't stay long. The next few weeks should be good provided the storms stay away.