Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VicIII

Cold night = pizza night...

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

[img=

20111110_200834.jpg

The last one was my favorite... White cheddar, brck, and motz cheese with pepperoni, fresh mushroom, and OSO sweet onion.

Homemade dough, sauce, and drinks...

Cup and half of beer and half cup of water.

One beer and some water to get to two cups of liquid and the 6 cups of flour in the mixer... Then look at he dough and check and feel to get it just right to work.

I add honey and yeast to the beer liquid.

Then oil just before I combined them.

2 cups to 6 cups is 67% hydration, or 33%?

Are you doing your cups by weight or measure?

I add honey too, but I use some whole wheat flower (25%) in my mix.

The weather is getting colder and baseball is over. Time for regular pizza nights again. :th:

% hydration is more of a weight thing not volume or cup to cup thing.

I normally go over the liquid and then add flour is I have to.

Seem like a wet dough is always better than a dryer dough.

If you dough is wetter it is likely at 67% (or roughly so) using your recipe.

I weigh everything and mine is around 63%. I used to make it wetter but had trouble getting it off the peel and into the oven.

It can sometimes get tough to get it off the peel but everyone seems to like the wetter dough better. Seems more chewy and has a great taste.

I know that if you go by ratios your not getting the true % hydration. You must weigh. Makes sense because I moved from Florida to Michigan and seems like my dough is dryer here and weighed more (humid FL climate) in FL.

Seems to be a real trick to baking.

I also need to get a more kid friendly sauce. Mine is great for adults but kids seem to want a sweet or jarred type sauce more. All the adults love the fresh sauce. Kind of funny.

Baking is all about weight and measure. Very precise. Which is what pisses me off about my wife. I weigh everything when I bake and then I catch her with unfilled cups of flour, splash of this, handful of that, and it fricken comes out perfect. :squid:

Baking is all about weight and measure. Very precise. Which is what pisses me off about my wife. I weigh everything when I bake and then I catch her with unfilled cups of flour, splash of this, handful of that, and it fricken comes out perfect. :squid:

That is what my wife's grandma calls the "the Feel". Now she tried to teach me the feel and it kinda worked but I may need more years like she has... She has past but made bread by hand for over 65 years.