Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robert Williams

Do you earn more today than you did 20 years ago?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

If you are unemployed currently, go with the salary you were making last in your REGULAR long-term job. If you've never been able to hold a regular job, just don't even answer. This is about normal people working normal jobs and how many have had their pay steadily decrease until they're making less than they were 20 years ago.

------

well, hit the wrong button so answer #3 isn't there.

I make more today than I did 20 years ago.

If you're making more then you did 20 years ago, then you can just add it as a comment to this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Williams View Post

If you are unemployed currently, go with the salary you were making last in your REGULAR long-term job. If you've never been able to hold a regular job, just don't even answer. This is about normal people working normal jobs and how many have had their pay steadily decrease until they're making less than they were 20 years ago.

My top two years were 1995/1996.  Atlanta Olympics.  I'll never top them.

My top two years were 1995/1996.  Atlanta Olympics.  I'll never top them.

Yep, now that's a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'm curious to hear the stories of all the people who are making less than they were 20 years ago. It would be interesting to hear how that happened for them. I'm sure there are people in that boat but I don't know any of them - or at least I don't think I do. Maybe some of us on this board have had pay decreases over the years and can shed some light on it.

20 yrs ago, for me, it was all about the 'Money'. Today, after 2 Kids, 2 Grand kids, owning several successful Businesses, and with a Divorce thrown in, I have now made 'peace' with the fact that there IS more to 'Life' then $$$$. Lately, I have Worked just enough to allow me to Babysit my Grand Kids while my Daughter goes back to College. My next 'Lifestyle' change will be moving to Florida, where I intend to Fish my Life away, working just enough to pay the 'Bills'.

Self employed for the last 37 years. I make more now than 20 years ago, BUT, I am making less than I did 5 years ago by almost 30%. Mainly due to the economy, and wanna be's that own a DSLR and claim to be photographers.

I'm retired 8 years ago with a good retirement plan plus SS. Heck, I'm not working a lick now and I made more than I did 20 years ago. Plus kids are married and doing very well, kids college bills all paid off, house and cars paid for, no medical issues... Heck, right now I have significantly more spendable income than I ever had in my life.

Twenty years ago, I was fourteen. My current gig pays a little better than caddying and paper route did back then, but I also have a few more expenses than baseball cards and bmx parts.:D

adjusted for inflation?

or straight up?

Straight up. My present income is the same number of $ as I made 20 years ago. Its just there are major less demands on where my money is spent...waaay less! Oh yeah... it helps that my wife is still working as a HS teacher. That being said, my wife and I have always lived on the extreme cheap with zero gov't assistance.