Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ExoticSeafood

Fishing the east river/Hudson river

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I've never done this before and I'd like to catch some blues and stripers which have been around lately, I was thinking of going to Pier 6 in Brooklyn Bridge Park or around the FDR drive, anybody ever been to either of those places before? What other fish can be caught there? And is 20 lb mono alright to use?

Bass and blues will be anywhere there is bait and current. They don't have maps and don't avoid certain piers or streets :)

20# test is sufficient for almost anything you'll catch in there.

TimS

Bass and blues will be anywhere there is bait and current. They don't have maps and don't avoid certain piers or streets :)

TimS

Guess that is why fish detectors work so well. ;)

What about bait? I know bunker is the best but I hasn't been able to find that lately, I'm thinking of just bringing shrimp(I catch all kinds of fish on shrimp, I catch more blackfish with it then with crabs) and maybe some live eels and diamond jigs.

TimS

In total agreement with the above reply , But also try to use finesse swim lures. Such as , Storm shads , and B-tails w/pork or twister tails . Fan cast the structure or rip line . I know for a fact that there are plenty of fish there ... Good Luck

I used to catch TONS of fish at SpuytenDuyvil before 9/11 and the inability to get in to that area..... used storm shads with good results.

Years ago, I used to fish the East River, between the Manhattan and Bklyn Bridges and near the bases of the towers. I would catch Flounder in March, Fluke in the Summer, and in the Spring? Nice bass! There were always blues shooting through to the Sound. And plenty of eels! Access to the water front was easier too. I would back my van up to the 12"x12" and fish off the back of my van. There was a pier off Wall street, that was used for parking cars during the day. At night one could drive out to the end for bass. Those were the days!

This time of the year mostly bass, though. There was a bait shop on Houston Street years back that has gone the way of Gentrification, as many other local establishments did. But this is another story.

Anyhow, if ya can't get Bunker, than Mackerel will do.  If I missed the bait shop I would get something from the fish market in the Pathmark on Peck' Slip. Tins with a tube were always good there as well!

I was staying at a hotel in the meat packing district several times per year for work. From the research that I did (which wasn't much) I learned the following: You can't use barbed hooks if you're fishing any spot considered a part of the NYC park system. Any place within the park system is fair game unless posted otherwise. Anything south of the GW bridge is considered salt water. 

I'm not from the area or an expert so do your own research. I saw people fishing off of the piers near the chelsea market and nobody bothered them as far as I could tell. 

I only wish that were true re. US Tigers fitd! :wave:

I've posted a pic here before of a 41 lber. I landed-- despite that my 7' Tiger "blew up" (i.e., broke/ shattered mid- rod) during the fight! Using my usual 20 lb. mono only, too! :shock:

I'd say I've broken 3- 4 of them in 20 years of fishing... but: I fish hard! ;)

(P.S.-- don't let this discourage you from buying one-- every broken one, US honored their warrantee & replaced free! Love that Co./ rod still! :clap:

As for Manhattan fishing? ... I'm living here 11 years now-- & haven't wet a line on the Island once! (Who wants to have to lift an 8 lb. Blue up & over that high wall & fence? (not to mention a big Bass...). Not exactly sportfishing to me... and not C & R- friendly at all! (Not to mention 100+ other reasons I prefer to pass on here to fish personally! :dismay: )