Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tully Mars

Sling Packs?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I have been looking at better ways to store my gear on the water - the main focus on being able to reach everything without taking my back pack off, as I do now. I'm close to being sold on Orvis' sling pack - looks like it stays out of the way/everything accessible, but the price seems a little steep for such a small pack....anyone have any experience with this, or any other sling pack?

I have the previous model of the Orvis sling pack. It works well but not large enough to hold a lot of stuff. Swing it to the front to get your gear and swing it back out of the way. If you're going to buy the Orvis, wait for their $25 off a $50 purchase offer. They have this offer several times a year. You may need to sign up on their website or store to get the discount offer. I also have the Patagonia sling pack which is larger. After trying the slings, I found I prefer a mesh vest.

I've been using a William Joseph sling pack for years now and love it. Plenty of room for everything I need. Relatively light and its held up very well. A shame they discontinued them .A great product IMO.

I've been using a William Joseph sling pack for years now and love it. Plenty of room for everything I need. Relatively light and its held up very well. A shame they discontinued them .A great product IMO.

I have in my hands right now a new WJ sling pack. Might not be the same design as yours, but google them. The current model is very nice, carries my three fly boxes and a water bottle with room to spare. Not waterproof, but I just dry it out.

O

Anything with the name Orvis on it will cost you way to much money IMO! Just look at the price of there stripping basket. On the other end I have a few friends that work for them & usually get everything 1/2 off! :D I have the sling pack & it is all you need. Great fitting & very comfortable to wear.

You need to get on ther mailing list & when they send out coupons you will save $25.00 on a $50.00 purchase.

i've been looking at the orvis sling pack for a while. it does seem small. i checked out ebay and found one william joseph sling pack for the same price as the orivs one with the discount and it looks a lot bigger.

Anyone going to Orvis Boston next week to meet the new fishing manager?

I have in my hands right now a new WJ sling pack. Might not be the same design as yours, but google them. The current model is very nice, carries my three fly boxes and a water bottle with room to spare. Not waterproof, but I just dry it out.

O

Not that I've been looking but thats the first time I've seen that one . Looks real nice and an upgrade of the original one I have . I don't understand though because the info I found is its the Equinox model but that too has been discontinued .

I considered sling packs but eventually went with a chest/hip pack, since I can also wear it much like a sling pack by just sliding it around to the side or back. Mine is a Fishpond Dragonfly and it works pretty well that way. The Orvis sling pack says it's 472 cu in, which sounds pretty big to me but then they may be counting every little nook and cranny you can stuff something. I wonder what the volume of the main compartment is--I bet Orvis would tell you. Mine's supposedly a little over 300 cu in and I could see some folks wanting something a little bigger.

Whichever one you settle on, if it's waterproof, I'd keep a little piece of something absorbent in the bottom.

I switched to a waterproof pack after getting tired of smelling my sling pack in my truck for days as it was drying.

Very few packs are completely waterproof.

I recently didn't fully close my zipper all the way. It was open about a 1/4". After taking on a few waves, a little bit of water got in there.

Problem is, the water can't get out. I found my cigar lighter in a small pool in the bottom.

Now I leave a small piece of "sham-wow" material in the bottom just in case.

Not that I've been looking but thats the first time I've seen that one . Looks real nice and an upgrade of the original one I have . I don't understand though because the info I found is its the Equinox model but that too has been discontinued .

Not sure, I found mine researching online, checked Bear's Den and made my purchase. It shipped from Montana, I think, so BD just places the order and it ships from the factory.

O

For fly fishing I doubt that "waterproof" is worth doing. You're going to get water into everything. Better to use designs and materials that dry well and don't develop mold easily.

I am using the current William Joseph "Creel" Tech series sling pack. It consists of two stacked zippered compartments and can be opened from either side as well as slung over either shoulder although it is designed primarily to be slung over the right shoulder. It also has a small attachable magnetic pouch for quick access to small stuff (nippers, tippet spools, camera) and it attaches to the pack in one of three ways - very versatile.

I use it primarily for wet wading since I always use a hard sided stripping basket to keep my line off the water while prowling. The pack rides high enough on the back to stay out of the way of the basket when I sling it around to my back to get it out of the way when working to a fish. A hip pack gets in the way. I got my sling pack from Fishwest.

Hi-

I currently use the new Orvis sling pack for the salt/surf. For my needs, it's perfect. I don't like carrying lots of stuff with me, so this fits the bill. I usually have one fly box, a spare spool for my reel, and some leader/tippet. I rigged my pliers sheath to the pack as well, on top of the built-in external sheath on the pouch. (the built in one is sized more for freshwater hemostats or whatever, too small for my heavy duty pliers. I don't use the pouch on the strap, but I'm thinking about adding a small pair of clippers, perhaps. I can also fit my headlamp and a bottle of water in there too, if necessary. Again, to me, this thing is perfect, light, easy to access, and it doesn't get in the way.

One more thing- I cast lefty, and the pack, though worn over your right shoulder, does not hinder my casting at all. It comes with a waist strap to help keep it in one spot on your back, but I don't use it.

I got mine using one of Orvis's $25 off coupons they offer every once in a while, and haven't regretted it for a second.

-B