Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lloyd Christmas

Fall run??

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

A lot of guys on the beach here on long island are saying its over or hasn't started yet. What about guys to the north or the south of us. Are they doing better or worse then other years. Are they having sick looking fish and lack of bait. Or lots of bait and no fish. Or is it normal and maybe the stripers took a different migration pattern.

Well down where i'm at, we don't have the Stripers like you guys have, although they are common in the Cape Fear river and up at the banks. N.C also still allows trawling and gill netting which i have been a strong opponent of. Red drum,Black drum, Speckled trout and Sheepshead can be caught year round as the water temps stay relatively mild, and the air temps generally stay in the 40 and 50's although nights can dip way down.

Right now most of the Mullet and Menhaden schools have departed but there are pockets of them and Mullet can be had year round for bait by going up the numerous creeks. Shrimp are very numerous most of the year, but they too, are scarce now. I would say that Oct is the best just like you guys up north, but i was born and fished jersey for over 40 years and my biggest striper was landed on jan 2nd so i would not give up yet.

I am almost 100% sure that the super-steep drop in water temps during the "deep freeze" before that snowfall - and thereafter - sent most of the bass hell south.

If that was the case wouldn't guys down south be hammering them.

I am still seeing birds diving almost daily in central LI , the problem is they are way off the beach . I am begining to think we will not be seeing on the beach this year .

I am almost 100% sure that the super-steep drop in water temps during the "deep freeze" before that snowfall - and thereafter - sent most of the bass hell south.

Not necessarily. The inshore temps around here dropped very fast and this caused bait to rush out, with bass on their tails. As they migrate, they stay in the slightly warmer offshore waters.

I have seen a DIRECT correlation between these October and November "temperature plunges" and a sudden absence of a lot of bass. A few years ago water temps were all over the place October and November until early December when they dropped rapidly. It lit up from Moriches to Jones for the better part of a week. I caught the tail end of that with 30's on metal lips in the wash. I think "my day" happened on December 6th. The next day it was dead and that was basically it for the season save for a few lingering specimens late into January.

Not saying it's over for sure as there are still random small pods around but I think the big push is gone.

I don't have enough experience to make a bold prediction buuuuut between august and september I wasnt hoping to catch fish at my local haunts, I knew I was going to if I put in the time.  Now I am from Salem, MA so we aren't necessarily in the sweet spot of striper country but I was catching 30-40 inchers on a regular basis.  Not unbelievable I know, but since sept 24th I only have 3 fish, all in the 37-38 inch range during small surface feeds.  I have fished twice as hard lately then when I was catching fish.  The only way I can interpret this is that there is not enough bait in this 40 mile stretch of ocean for migrating fish to come in close , and I have even broadened my trips on weekends. 

So either I'm in such a bad slump that fish arent even interested in my fresh herring heads or plugs, or our stock of spring/summer stripers took off a little early and havent been replaced.  I'm not a naysayer but its getting harder to stay motivated to fish 5 hrs a day with no payoff.  I plan on fishing just as hard til at least november because I have friends that have hit some blitzes closer to the cape and I dont want to miss opportunities because i didnt stick with it. 

If anyone from MA has anything in way of information id def be interested to hear whats goin on in your neck of the woods....