Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tfisher

2nd Annual - Gear that has served you well (or not so well) this season thread

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

hey everyone - my "second annual gear that has served you well" thread.

I think it's good to let others know what's worked for you so we don't waste our valuable $ on items that just don't hold up.

Thumbs up gear:

Shimano Thunnus 8000: best reel I've ever owned - has been my go to set up all season - used it to plug - and for bait fishing - it's a cure all reel - if you bring some bait (as a skunk protector) no problem - love this reel

LL Bean Bootfoot waders: amazing fit - no leaks - have been flawless all season - looking forward to many more years of heavy use

Columbia PFG vented long sleeve fishing shirts: get them - they are light enough to wear during the summer and will protect from bugs if the wind shifts and it's not hot at all - beat out my previous Bimini Bay shirts

Columbia Wading jacket: I don't stand in the ocean - it's not a sealed "dry top" - but for the money dryness and warmth? It's perfect for what I do surf side

St Croix (purchased new old stock) Avid 10' M/H surf rod: why they discontinued this line is beyond me - this is an amazing blank to fish with - I've used the 8' for summer but the 10' has worked amazing for both spring and fall plugging

Van Staal hip pack: will never leave home without it ! Carries just about everything you need and hasn't weighed me down - also - has held up well in saltwater - as a 2nd hand purchase was one of my favorite pieces to fish with: thanks Kevin - best $ spent !!!

Tactical Angler clips: I use the bigger ones and they are STRONG and super easy to use

Not so thumbs up gear:

Aquaskinz hip gear bag: seams came apart in one outing on my surf belt - I just don't have to time to mail it back "for review" - I still used the tin holder with no issue

Fish finder Slides (that can go on and off your line without cutting your line by twisting them open) - garbage - not for saltwater fishing (for me anyway) when they "locked" they didn't stay shut and braid would constantly get caught up in it - I can't waste $2 a throw with my sinker attached - great idea - but design flaw

SOG Sea Pup: I own many of their knives - but first time out with this one? Rusted (not just spot rust either) and I didn't expect that from a knife I thought NAVY Seals use. Mailed it back to them: they sent a new one after a lengthy conversation they ended up saying "flawed steel" - not their fault - a similar priced blunt tip divers knife has taken it's place

Suffix braid: loved it then hated it - not sure why - had mysterious break offs - I want to mail spool back to them for analysis

St Croix beanie cap: I support this company year after year - I have a medium to large head - please make a beanie that ADULT's can wear at the beach and advertise for you - doesn't work for me if it doesn't cover at least "half" of my ears

would like to read about others experience on new gear they've purchased that "has" or "has not" stood up to their expectations

T

I buy almost every high end Spinning reel out there. Saltiga 6000GT and Dogfight bought 6 years ago and still run flawless. Countless hours of plugging and jigging. I also have owned VanStals. This year with all the hype about the Stellas i Bought a Shimano Stella 18000. First month of ownership it started to sound like a Vanstall But worse. I think its a small problem but to pay $30 on shipping and $850 on the reel whats going on. Line roller bearing i hope, will see. I still fished it hard with all the noise to see if anything else would happen. So the stella 18000 in my eyes needs so help. thumbs down.

Both this set-up this year and was my only set up all year from shore.

:th:Penn Slammer Live Liner 460L Bought this reel for chucking and it did great. Dragged held up great on 10-13lb Blues.

Towards the end of the season I decided to use it as a plugging reel. I had wind knots galore, all because I had put to much line on it. Took off about 30-50 yards and didn't have a problem after that. I also took out the bail trip which took me two minutes. Love the metal body, it really took a beaten from me dropping it all over and still looks new.

:th:D-Blue Surf Spinning rod (11` 2-7oz lure rating) Great rod, it really took command of reeling big fish like 10-13lb blues I've caught. Mainly used it as a bait rod. I tried to use as a plugging rod, but the end of the rod was to long. From the reel seat to the end of the butt it was 29". This rod is very good at working Pencil poppers.

I've been a rotten consumer this year. Aside from a few hooks and eels, the only thing I bought this year was a pair of $10 needlenose pliers from Cabelas. They need to be oiled after they get soaked, but they do the job well.:D

VS 200 (my 1st VS) :th:

Lami GSB 120- 1L (never switching back) :th:

VS Single Row Bag (for the price) :th:

Korker's :th: :th: :th: :th:

SS & Yo-Zuri Mag Darter's :th: :th:

St. Croix Mojo 10' 1-4 (for me) :thumbd:

Fishing since June :thumbd: :thumbd:

:th: On the Tactical Angler clips

:th: On both the Commando and Mak 4 tube plug bags

:th: On the Super Strike loaded (heavy) needlefish

:thumbd: On the hooks that come on the Super Strike plug line

Wearbars, didn't lose one all season long. Did a lot of walking in them.

Gami Nautilus circle hooks. Sort of a hybrid circle/regular hook. If you still have a tendency to set the hook they work pretty well.

Android tide app was good, just make sure you have Newport Ri and not Newport Oregon set.

Shimano Voltaeus rod. I got it for inshore boat fishing. Works for everything from scup to cashes ledge cod. I even turned a 12' blue shark with it. 80 bucks, good investment.

AS Cobra bag. I like the thing. Used it all of this past year and most of the previous season. Very durable bag with a lot of room. I just found an additional pocket in it a couple weeks ago. A little on the heavy side but a great bag.

Princeton tec remix headlamp. The best lamp out there in my opinion. White light is good, red light is awesome. A tight strong beam that doesn't effect my depth perception at all. I did have to return it as it broke after a year. Bought a replacement online for 22 bucks and got a new one from Princeton Tec.

60 lb boga. Just too big to carry comfortably. I used my 30 the last couple of years all the time. A gripper isnt necessary, i carry it for accurate weights, but rarely use is for landing fish anymore.

Cabelas wade lite 2 boots. I like them, they are comfortable and take the wear bars great, but i donk think they will last through next season.

A buddy with a boat. Awesome, makes fishing way too easy.

Rainshadow sw1089. Big thumbs up. Strong rod with tons of stopping power and an accurate and wide range of castability. Throws GRS giants great and can throw bombers with ease also. All in an under 9 foot package which makes it easy to manuever when skishing. (Thanks EBHarvey. Gonna need you to build me one of these whenever your ready ;))

Gonna say thumbs down to the MAK surfcasting belt. Now when I say thumbs down I must say this belt is the best belt I ever used, and I no longer worry about the buckle coming undone, which happened constantly with my AS belt. Just dont understand how MAK could make such a great belt, yet the tag end of the velcro tends to come undone all the time after a few uses. Again great belt and buckle, but could use a bit more work.

Thumbs down to Korker also. Wish they (or someone for that matter) could make a boot that holds up to hardcore surf use. My torrent shoes looked like they got put thru a wood chipper, after a half season of use. Im going to have to muster up the ingenuity to make my own boots. I figure if guys will spend 500 bucks on a good bag, I could corner the market with good lightweight boots, because they DO NOT exist. If your korkers last more than a season you don't fish hard enough. Its either that or buy the cheapo cabelas ultralights, as they lasted me just as long, actually a tad longer than the korkers, and they don't break the bank.

Thumbs down = Princeton Tec headlamps. They may be waterproof, but they are certainly not saltwater proof/dunkable. I fried 5 this season

Thumbs up = Princeton Tec's warranty. No questions asked replacements. All 5 times I fried the lamps, I had new ones in a week. So I buy two lights and constantly have a rotation, one in use and one in transit to and from New Jersey haha.

GRS pikies = Thumbs up

Owner hooks for eeling = Thumbs up (as opposed to Gamis)

Hex metal lures could not get anything to hit it in the Canal this season. But it redeemed itself in RI this week schoolie galore day and never changed the lure. I will buy one more this winter.

Thumbs Up:

Shimano Stradic CI2500 for freshwater rockfish

Owner 2X hooks

Cabelas breathable waders ("Dri Plus" I think?)

Rapala X-Raps

Sufix Braid (2 years and upwards of 4 or 500 rockfish)

Otterbox phone cases

Shimano's rod warranty

Thumbs Down:

The Shimano Cumara I've broken twice (probably my fault though :D)

Plano Guide Series tackle bag (torn up after 3 or 4 years)

My '88 30hp Evinrude

Circle hooks in general

I'm pretty much set with gear but did purchase a used 2nd generation ZeeBaas last winter and it was a pleasure to use this season. Best spinning reel I've ever used for sure.

Thumbs up:

Lami XS91MHS + Spheros 5000FB + 20lbs. Fireline

Surfcaster single row bag with Ebb Point 4-tube insert

Red gills!!!!!!

Berkely Big Game mono leader material (better than Ande)

LL Bean Emerger stocking foot waders

Panther Vision cap with built-in lights

Thumbs down:

Bass Pro Shops fish gripper / Boga knock-off (locked up - what did i expect for $10?)

Greenpoint 1.5 ounce sharp eye swimmer (lame castability and out-fished by plugs 1/3 of the price)

Manley Super Pliers (super rusty!)

:th: B2 squid bodies for fluke. Couldn't keep em away with the rigs I made with the G2's in pink and glow

:th: Abu 5500c3...took some SERIOUS abuse on my kayak this season and held up like a champ.

:th: Stradic 6000 FI....hasn't failed me yet

Can't think of anything negative at the moment