Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pete_pa

Where's my launch? and other foggy stories

5 posts in this topic

Went out this morning at my local lake and it turned into a white out...  early on it was foggy but it got steadily worse.  Thankfully this is an electric only lake because I would had hated motor boats running around while I'm finding my way back in.      

foggy.jpg

Had the a similar experience except it was pitch dark. Apparently I paddled towards the wrong red beacon light :frown: Now I leave one of those green night bobby on the dashboard of my trunk or a glow stick.

Years ago I put a remote starter in my truck and found out a great use for it. I got lost on a foggy night and was trying to figure where my truck was. The starter was good to 1000' so I hit start. The truck fired up and headlights came on and I could see them glow thru the fog. Followed them back to find the shore and truck. Good thing too because it was not in the direction I thought it should be.

both good ideas wink.gif ...  I've also been out in the dark when the thickest fog I can ever recall descended over the lake.  Being a smallish lake I'm in no danger of paddling very far in any direction without hitting something I'm familiar with.  I remember not being able to even see the front of the kayak.  It made fishing somewhat hard so I just paddled/floated around as I was the only one on the water at that hour,  surreal experience to say the least.  

A couple of weeks ago a friend and I got off course, just a little to the south of our put in. We had a pretty miserable evening of fishing including a skunk and lost gear. Due to the current and wind and such we decided that since we were already off course and in what had been a good fishing spot before, well we decided to fish some more instead of heading back (as we were.) Suffice it to say we got into some pretty nice bass.....so it's not always a bad thing