Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
connie3

Rod / reel combo for delaware river?!?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I am new to this site as well as striper fishing... I bought a cheap rod reel combo (jarvis walker and a tsunami five star for 40$)... I got more into fishing for striper this past summer when striper made a run up the Delaware river( near northeast philly and burlington/ Bristol bridge ... I wasn't satisfied with the reel so I now bought a finnor fs60... like it a lot ...now I'm taking more trips to jersey shore for fish striper ...I would like to know if anyone frequents these areas and if my setup is good...would like to hear from experienced fisher who could give me tips or reviews thanks for reading .!

Hi Connie.

The Jersey Shore is a great place to fish for Stripers. I recommend using at least 20 lb. mono line with a swivel on the end then tying on a 2 ft. piece of 50 lb. mono for a leader to tie a lure onto. You can also use bait such as clam or bunker on a hook with a weight to hold the bait down.

A guarunteed fish catcher is black/purple or black 5 inch Bomber at night or maybe a yellow Bomber in the daytime.

There are a myriad of other ways to catch Striped Bass and you can explore them by reading past threads and posts on this website.

Good luck and have fun! :)

Depends on your rod if that Five Star only goes to 7 feet I would definetly stay on the smaller end with the 5000. 6000 works good on a ten foot surf rod. If you can make your combo work then go for it, as you develop you'll be able to tell where you want to put your money in upgrades. Tightlines!