Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave D

Fresh Water

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I must say, the Pickeral have been on fire the past 2 weeks. All horses, one was 28", ripping drag off my reel!

Nice sweet hole, @ 25' out, every time I get 3-4 fish, couple 2lb LMB, and some fantastic white & yellow perch~

Not the same as striper fishing, but I do enjoy it!

Plus the ducks on the pond are incredible. Buffleheads, bluebills, and a neat pair of grebes~

It's not always about the fishing!

I must say, the Pickeral have been on fire the past 2 weeks. All horses, one was 28", ripping drag off my reel!

Nice sweet hole, @ 25' out, every time I get 3-4 fish, couple 2lb LMB, and some fantastic white & yellow perch~

Plus the ducks on the pond are incredible. Buffleheads, bluebills, and a neat pair of grebes~

i agree,took a 33 inch hog of a pick yesterday on a giant golden native shiner.If i didn't already have 2 this size i would have mounted it.

you using bait or lures? I caught a 2lb largemouth on a rm swimmeer at fish and game. I was practice casting. poor little guy didnt stand a chance 11' rod 50# braid :shock:

did release and swam off :D

RR

I plan on getting back into freshwater next year, but I think I'm going to do it with a fly rod. I have a river in my backyard with LMB, Pick, Perch, Bluegill, Catfish, Carp, Rainbows, and I think Shad (although I haven't seen them as far up as my house). I plan on doing some trout and shad fishing in the spring, and more trout in the fall.

I don't know the first thing about freshwater. Any of you experienced folks have any pointers or ideas how one can get started? I'm itchin' for some fish action. :D

been killing trout on the fly this fall.. I can't wait for palmer river hickory shad in the spring.

LMB on the fly is a blast and a half, especially topwater. Nothing makes you appreciate a high speed reel like a 1:1 fly reel and a 4lb bass swimming right at your feet.

i agree, took a 33 inch hog of a pick yesterday on a giant golden native shiner.If i didn't already have 2 this size i would have mounted it.

wow, that's one hell of a pickerel!!!

and you've caught 3???

my hat's off to you, my biggest is 22 1/2.

tuesday i caught a 30 inch pike, on a sebile magic swimmer, slow sinking, fishing from my kayak.

Sounds like you guys are doing a lot better than me. All I can seem to find are yellow perch. :snr:

Upsize your offering... Bass and Esox are trying to fatten up before the winter with the least amout of effort. Try livelining one of said yellow perch.

Yeah... I've been hitting the same spot on my lunch breaks throwing jerkbaits and senkos. No bass, and the area isn't known for pickerel (surprising, given the perch population), so I downsized to small spinners so at least I could say I caught something. :)

Don't fish with bait anymore but my guess is that the way we caught big fish in the fall using the belly of yellow perch with a weedless hook would still work. Would sometimes catch 3 or 4 bass on one belly. Usually with one pickeral it was on the the next belly. Should you find yourself with a dead perch you might want to give it a shot.;)

Local Cape ponds have been excellent last few weeks, but I either get trout at stocked lakes or bass & pickerel everywhere else.

Not many places that have both, except Mashpee Wakeby, but its been so windy I have been staying off the big lakes, and tomorrow is no different, so once again, I'll be hitting the small trout spots this weekend.

I have always been a spincaster, but I am waiting for my new fly rod in the mail! Got to give that a try!

Trout have been hitting on gold spoons and powerbait. Bass & pickerel on 4-5" crankbait lures, sinking, diving, floating. Selbie 4" majic swimmer got me 18" pickerel last weekend.

fly fishing is awesome dude you're gonna love it. well no, you're gonna hate it at first, casting sucks. but as soon as you get a fish you'll love it. i'm obsessed now. even when i bet i can get a fish on a spin rod, i just never bother anymore bc i'd rather try to get them on the fly. what'd you get?