Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ktarcher

Fly tying kit

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

So I'm looking for some recommendations on a decent fly tying kit. I know most people advise to stay away from kits all together but this a gift for my son. He is only seven years old and loves to sit down and tie flies with me! :) He has fly tying tools at the top of his Christmas list so that he won’t have to "wait for Dad to get home from work to tie flies". Obviously he takes care of things about as well as you would expect a seven year old would so I don't want to spend tons of money getting him setup for a hobby he might not stick with or lose all the parts to. I was thinking the Wapsi beginners kit which runs a little over 50 bucks but has a vise, basic tools, hooks and materials. Anyone have another that I should check out? Thanks!

Bass pro has a for $25 or so, thats a vice, bobbin, scissors, stacker and whip finish tool, and its in a wood box..

you will need some sort of weight to keep it steady though. not easy to apply pressure via the bobbin without the vise moving on you, since it is unsecured to the tabletop.

Most of those kits are Garbage! And the materials you get with them are for tying freshwater flies. You say Decent. If thats the case I wouldn't bother with any of those kits.

You said you tie. What kind of tools do you have? I would check the web for an inexpensive vice. Remember you get what you pay for. And if it doesn't work out for the little guy & he loses interest a good vice will always sell right here. Keep an eye out on the Flyfishing BST and even post that your looking for something for your 7 year old.

Do a google search for flytying vices in a certen price range. Check out the Big Auction site for flytying vices,materials & tools. You'll be surprised what is out there.

There are many options & you don't have to brake the bank!

I hear ya flytyingguy, I'll definitly look into cheap finds before going the kit route. The tools I have are the Renzetti Traveler 2200 and a Dr. Slicks kit that came with just about all the other tools I needed to start tying.