Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pakalolo

Coalition question

Rate this topic

195 posts in this topic

I've read that the Coalition has initiated an effort to stop the commercial harvest of bass by spear. Do I understand this correctly? If not , please disregard this post, if it's true, I have a couple of questions.

1- Are there any commercial guys who fill their tags by spearing fish?

2- Why would there be any opposition to this method of harvest? Each fish is selected for size, it would be a very clean fishery.

-3 Isn't there more pressing business in Albany than this?

Thanks.

The use of spear guns in commercial striped bass fishing is prohibited as per NYSDEC regulations.

However commercial anglers are currently trying to have this method of fishing legalized for them.

You claim that it would be a selective and clean fishery so I feel compelled to tell you that you are incorrect. There is concrete data proving otherwise. It is not possible to estimate the size of a fish accurately while under water. This could lead to 100% mortality of fish to do not fall within the commercial anglers slot limit.

The NYCRF did send in a letter to Albany opposing the spear fishing bills being pushed by the comm's and I have to tell you that we received a warmer welcome regarding this matter than you can possibly imagine.

Objects underwater can appear 34% bigger in salt water and 25% closer than they actually are. Knowing that this is factual information it is my opinion that the method of spearfishing for commercial anglers should not be legalized. The possibility of them killing fish which do not fall within their slot limit is likely to happen.

Sorry, I guess it was totally off topic. :o

Anytime that I've seen spear fishermen, they were snorkeling.

More of a challenge than scuba. That's all. :)

I think you are talking about the free divers. Some of those guys have iron lungs. They swim deep down and stay down for quite a long time.

Objects underwater can appear 34% bigger in salt water and 25% closer than they actually are. Knowing that this is factual information it is my opinion that the method of spearfishing for commercial anglers should not be legalized. The possibility of them killing fish which do not fall within their slot limit is likely to happen.

Do recreational fisherman see differently than the commercial?

Do recreational fisherman see differently than the commercial?

Yes they do. Other than normal light refraction under water the recreational angler does not have dollar signs further distorting their vision.

Tom, you and every surfcaster on this planet knows how inefficient our sport is. Wouldn't diving under the water (freediving or scuba - doesn't matter) be even LESS efficient? I don't see the danger of overharvest here - honestly, am I missing something?

Tom, have you ever scuba dove or snorkeled in New England waters? I got my c-card in 1982 and I can tell you it is a rare day when visibility is good enough to be efficient at spearfishing around here.