Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HugeDinghy

Vietnam in HD- history channel

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

I'd be interested in reading that. Make sure you ask them if they are actual combat veterans. I've known a handfull over the years, blue collar guys that were both drafted and enlisted. Quite a cast of characters to say the least.

As to the average WWII serviceman facing 10 days of combat per year versus a Vietnam serviceman's 240, that sounds a bit off, to me. Tell that to your infantryman grunt who served in France or Italy, and he'll likely laugh in your face. If you're lucky. :squid:

I thought the same thing since listening to my Uncle who was a D-day jumper and involved. But the term used is 'average' and it makes sense. There were MANY more boots on the ground in combat in WWII than in Vietnam and we had no allies for relief. In talking to my friend John yesterday he said it was nothing to go 30-50 days at a shot. Hell, even if they are wrong by a third, it is still enormous.

I met a lot of South Korean Vietnam Veterans at last year's Vietnam Veterans Memorial at the NYC Vietnam Memorial and this year's Veterans Day Parade. There were over 250,000 South Korean troops that served in Vietnam. There were some South Korean troops on my base in '69. There also were 60,000 Australian troops who served in Vietnam.

I remember running into Aussies in Vung Tau, which was an in-country R&R location on the coast. I also had the unusual experience as the sole American on board a small cargo ship travelling down the South China Sea from Cam Ranh to Saigon. The entire crew was South Korean.

Brian,as for your asking an in Country Combat type person ,i will answer a few questions. In VN there was no embedded media with most units, they reported what was told to them at high level briefings and the war was fought in home at 6pm with folks eating dinner, Mom would tell Dad turn that Damm thing off while we are eating ,those at home had no doubt to think the media was telling only the truth. (far from it) Tet of 68 was turning point in war. AS Walter told his version

I have same figures as most of time spent engaged with the enemy, with advent of Helo'sbringing troops in and out i can accept the numbers would be increased , total ??? I do know that down in Delta troops were brought back after three days to prevent jungle rot as every thing was always wet.

I was in two River Divisons, each division had (10) PBR each had crew of Four, NO Facilities on board NONE,hang it over side ,want shower jump in river, or stick a hose in over board discharge start that side engine and walla in couple minutes hot water,not pure but hot. Meals C rat, later MRE (sucked)

Crew was a Gunner, Engineman (Diesel),Deck Bosin and Boat Capt,my crew was all 20 years old I was 29

My crew and I made approx 300 combat patrols in 365 days ,Yes at times we seen little green critters dancing on river,our war started at dark and lasted intil sun up.,went 4day patrols, 4 night patrols then 4straight full days what we called out patrols as we was 25-30 miles from home base,again during day cat nap , what ever,then at night 2 guys on 2 guys off for two hours, rain every one wet no sleep,catch VC crossing fire fight ensued no sleep. I have no idea of how many enemy we Killed nor Do I care, it was them or me , I was also responsible for three othe men assigned to me as crew men,they too are home alive and well

Population today has tripled over war days, over 65%of people today does not even know about war as to young or was not even born .

Did not watch all series,wife hates movies covering the war as she was at home with 5 year old daughter no family close by for support, as disscused some time back, military wifes are some what shunned by local women as they feel threatend the military loney woman steal their man.

If shown the scenes depicting the Navy PBR's beaching and men jumping off running in weeds to help pull some Army unit out is all true, I was NOT there, but know ever man involved as they was all from River Division 593 to which I was also a member of then.

The smell of Cordite, the Noise, the Carnage, Squalor, along with the Stench of death linger with you for ever, let alone the aftermath of the battle.scene,not open for discussion

We did not always win and the Gamewarden Memorial honors those 228 men who paid the full price

Sorry I overlooked DUSTER or Better know as Dust OFF ,these guys Busted Balls to come down and pick up wounded troops and take them quickly to field hospitals,the WALL would have many more names with out them, Tell Ol Man Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Sears View Post

Sorry I overlooked DUSTER or Better know as Dust OFF ,these guys Busted Balls to come down and pick up wounded troops and take them quickly to field hospitals,the WALL would have many more names with out them, Tell Ol Man Thanks

My uncle, my hero, flew dust off. Coolest dude I ever met. 

I was up in QuangTri vietnam with the 9th Marines 2/9. I was a machine gunner M-60. We ran a lot of truck convoys up North. I can't comment on the series because I have never watched a movie or documentry about Vietnam and never will, but I can tell you that I was one of the guys they spit on at Kennedy Airport when I got home. It was just a regular person and not a hippie. He was lucky that I controlled myself that day because I would have gone away for a very long time.

I've heard those spitting stories for as long as I can remember. When did all this go down? I'm guessing late 1960's? By the time I was old enough to be aware of how things were, it seemed that most of the returning troops were being basically ignored, no thanks no nothing.

Oh and here's a belated thank you, btw.

Yea, me too... that vet getting choked up talking about the soldier who got napalmed was something else. His wife had just had their baby a few days before that.

That vet would be Joe Galloway, combat journalist, who was at Ia Drang and experienced that episode.

Brian,as for your asking an in Country Combat type person ,i will answer a few questions. In VN there was no embedded media with most units, they reported what was told to them at high level briefings and the war was fought in home at 6pm with folks eating dinner, Mom would tell Dad turn that Damm thing off while we are eating ,those at home had no doubt to think the media was telling only the truth. (far from it) Tet of 68 was turning point in war. AS Walter told his version

I have same figures as most of time spent engaged with the enemy, with advent of Helo'sbringing troops in and out i can accept the numbers would be increased , total ??? I do know that down in Delta troops were brought back after three days to prevent jungle rot as every thing was always wet.

I was in two River Divisons, each division had (10) PBR each had crew of Four, NO Facilities on board NONE,hang it over side ,want shower jump in river, or stick a hose in over board discharge start that side engine and walla in couple minutes hot water,not pure but hot. Meals C rat, later MRE (sucked)

Crew was a Gunner, Engineman (Diesel),Deck Bosin and Boat Capt,my crew was all 20 years old I was 29

My crew and I made approx 300 combat patrols in 365 days ,Yes at times we seen little green critters dancing on river,our war started at dark and lasted intil sun up.,went 4day patrols, 4 night patrols then 4straight full days what we called out patrols as we was 25-30 miles from home base,again during day cat nap , what ever,then at night 2 guys on 2 guys off for two hours, rain every one wet no sleep,catch VC crossing fire fight ensued no sleep. I have no idea of how many enemy we Killed nor Do I care, it was them or me , I was also responsible for three othe men assigned to me as crew men,they too are home alive and well

Population today has tripled over war days, over 65%of people today does not even know about war as to young or was not even born .

Did not watch all series,wife hates movies covering the war as she was at home with 5 year old daughter no family close by for support, as disscused some time back, military wifes are some what shunned by local women as they feel threatend the military loney woman steal their man.

If shown the scenes depicting the Navy PBR's beaching and men jumping off running in weeds to help pull some Army unit out is all true, I was NOT there, but know ever man involved as they was all from River Division 593 to which I was also a member of then.

The smell of Cordite, the Noise, the Carnage, Squalor, along with the Stench of death linger with you for ever, let alone the aftermath of the battle.scene,not open for discussion

We did not always win and the Gamewarden Memorial honors those 228 men who paid the full price

I'm with Al. I don't watch VN stuff. Get too sad, too angry, etc.