Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
magagro

Unpacked thread

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Im just about to put the final coat over the guides, but after the first one I could realize that in one of the guides underwrap I made a mistake and haven't  checked carefully enough to see that my  burnishing wasnt good enough and there's a gap that I can see the  blank spot thru the wrap.(blank color medium gray and underwraps black).

Was just wonderind if somehow I could close this gap.Maybe apply black color with a marker!?!?!? My concern is to apply the second coat over the maker pen.....just dont wanna make a big mess in case the epoxy dissolves the pen ink.

Is there any way to prevent scratch straight to the blank? just bought a batson blank and the color is added simply spraying the paint over the blank and thre's no resin or so to protect it...........after a few fishing trip this blank will look like something coming from the hell.........(All the blanks I handled in the past _SAGE_ used to have the color coming from the fibers not from a spray layer, and you could see clearly that the scratchs dont get to the blank color, only in the epoxy layer)

Can I apply a epoxy coat over the entire blank?

(Im using threadmaster epoxy)

well guys, as always tnx for the inputs.

As far as coating the blank don't don't use epoxy. Look at Permagloss which is a good coating for a rod blank it's just not real easy to apply! The factorys coatings used on rod blanks mostly is a epoxy that is heat cured. They are very thin and tough coatings. The epoxy used on guides is not a good coating for paints most of them are casting type resins.

Don't worry about the paint on the blank. many manufacturers now paint the blanks , black is very common.

You can very lightly sand or use fine steel wool to slightly texture the finish where the gap in the black thread is. then just cover the area as little as possible with a thin straight line over the gap with a black sharpy indelible laundry marker. let it dry completely then just apply the next coat of finish. its not the best way to do things (should have packed it properly) but it will cover the gap in the thread. it works especially well with black , other colors it may not work at all. If you just use the marker pen without slightly scuffing the surface of the first coat of finish you will be able to discern the marker coverup a little but with a slight (do not break through the finish to the thread) scuff , the marker cover up will blend in a lot better.

You could just cut it off and rewrap the whole guide. Its not that big a job to do one guide.