Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nipsip

Moore's Law and Jobs

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Moore’s Law —The price of computing power falls roughly 50 percent every 18 months .

Solar panels have dropped in pricing by more than half since 2008 and are expected to drop 7% or better every year. Not quite the same as computer processors, but enough to start an energy transformation .First Solar has driven the cost of manufacturing cadmium-telluride thin films (which are about 15% of the market) to under 70 cents a watt and silicon-based module producers are closing in on the $1 per watt per watt cost with higher efficiency.

It's a race to the bottom is happening fast, annd it’s still heating up because of the scale that has been brought to this industry.

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2472314/width/600/height/446]

Even without government subsidies, the falling costs of solar panels coupled with the rising gas/oil/electricityl prices will make large-scale installations cost-competitive in this decade.

Today right here in MA, taking into account rebates and tax credits a 10kW ground or roof mount solar system can be installed for less than $3.75 a watt using the top of the line 19% panels, inverters and mounting hardware and that same system can pay for itself in less than 5 years and make generate income of over $7K a year even after it pays for itself.

That's where a lot of jobs will originate

We don't need no stinking fresh air, free or low cost energy,or a cleaner planet :confused: What we need is more LA smog :huh: Invest in LA smog it is already skyrocketing. If you don't believe me just ask me :shock::D

How much will it cost me to put them on the roof?  If I ran out today and bought them.

I need a solid 100 amps single phase.

In dollars

I hope the OP is correct about the future of Solar Power and the like.

I would love that one day the solar cells will be incorporated into all kind of things, and they will be 'self powered', no batteries, or plugs to worry about, and will be inexpensive enough to be affordable.

Until they can be made, and sold so both the maker and buyer are happy with the deal, and none of my taxes props up a failing enterprise, it don't see my dream as being realistic.

I would support the government funding scientific and engineering research into how this can be done.

I draw the line at funding a supposed for profit business that is owned by the administration's buddies

my neighbor has solar powered lights lining his walkway.

if that is the future, we're ****ed.

you can't see anything, unless you know that there is a concrete walk between them already.

Moore’s Law —The price of computing power falls roughly 50 percent every 18 months .

Solar panels have dropped in pricing by more than half since 2008 and are expected to drop 7% or better every year. Not quite the same as computer processors, but enough to start an energy transformation .First Solar has driven the cost of manufacturing cadmium-telluride thin films (which are about 15% of the market) to under 70 cents a watt and silicon-based module producers are closing in on the $1 per watt per watt cost with higher efficiency.

It's a race to the bottom is happening fast, annd it’s still heating up because of the scale that has been brought to this industry.

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2472314/width/600/height/446]

Even without government subsidies, the falling costs of solar panels coupled with the rising gas/oil/electricityl prices will make large-scale installations cost-competitive in this decade.

Today right here in MA, taking into account rebates and tax credits a 10kW ground or roof mount solar system can be installed for less than $3.75 a watt using the top of the line 19% panels, inverters and mounting hardware and that same system can pay for itself in less than 5 years and make generate income of over $7K a year even after it pays for itself.

That's where a lot of jobs will originate

These numbers are a load of crap. I recently priced out solar and the numbers are no where near that. The installed system was 50K. The govt was kind enough to offer to steal 25K of that from taxpayers and give it to me. This left 25K on me. The system had a lifespan of 20 years and would produce about 1K of electricity per year. So, taxpayers lay out 25K, I lay out 25K, then I save 20K over 20 years for a net loss of 30K not counting the value of 50K for 20 years. Then I get to replace the system. Solydra was building panels for 6 bucks but selling them for 3. Yeah, the prices are coming down and taking the companies down with it.

Like I said above, if the cost/benefit analysis worked in the consumers favor, they wouldn't be able to keep solar panels on the shelves.

Until then, it is just wishful thinking.

Has the OP put solar panels on his roof yet?

These numbers are a load of crap. I recently priced out solar and the numbers are no where near that. The installed system was 50K. The govt was kind enough to offer to steal 25K of that from taxpayers and give it to me. This left 25K on me. The system had a lifespan of 20 years and would produce about 1K of electricity per year. So, taxpayers lay out 25K, I lay out 25K, then I save 20K over 20 years for a net loss of 30K not counting the value of 50K for 20 years. Then I get to replace the system. Solydra was building panels for 6 bucks but selling them for 3. Yeah, the prices are coming down and taking the companies down with it.

You have no earthly idea what you are talking about. None whatsoever.

Like I said above, if the cost/benefit analysis worked in the consumers favor, they wouldn't be able to keep solar panels on the shelves.

Until then, it is just wishful thinking.

Has the OP put solar panels on his roof yet?

The OP has, for some reason, been reluctant to tell us all the money he has personally spent on green energy.

Nippy, come clean. Brag about how mucy you've spent on solar power and electric cars and how you've done away with all the use of fossil fuels possible. Be the proud fellow that is willing to tell us how he's put his money where his mouth is and pulled green out of his OWN pocket for overpriced green energy technology. Time to show us that you walk the walk.

You have no earthly idea what you are talking about. None whatsoever.

I'm not a tire kicker forming my opinions by hanging around a chat room with people who have no clue about whether the fourth hand information they're getting off the wall in the men's room is gospel. I researched solar on a real jobsite with real companies, real quotes, and real estimates on the lifespan of the system vs cost savings. All estimates were within 5% of each other. I researched Geothermal at the same time and the numbers worked so my home is now heated by a three zone Geothermal system. Solar didn't even come close to breaking even despite the govt's eagerness to steal 50 cents of every dollar of the install from taxpayers. Reading blue sky projections from people who stand to make money on solar and cashing in a few soda bottles at Walmart does not make you a green czar. Try doing something in the real world and the light will come on. (but not from solar) Let me leave you with this thought; If solar actually was cost effective, why would the govt be willing to pay 50% of the cost with taxpayer dollars?

I'm not a tire kicker forming my opinions by hanging around a chat room with people who have no clue about whether the fourth hand information they're getting off the wall in the men's room is gospel. I researched solar on a real jobsite with real companies, real quotes, and real estimates on the lifespan of the system vs cost savings. All estimates were within 5% of each other. I researched Geothermal at the same time and the numbers worked so my home is now heated by a three zone Geothermal system. Solar didn't even come close to breaking even despite the govt's eagerness to steal 50 cents of every dollar of the install from taxpayers. Reading blue sky projections from people who stand to make money on solar and cashing in a few soda bottles at Walmart does not make you a green czar. Try doing something in the real world and the light will come on. (but not from solar) Let me leave you with this thought; If solar actually was cost effective, why would the govt be willing to pay 50% of the cost with taxpayer dollars?

You said you were quoted $50K for a system that produced 1kW of electricity. A 1kW system is 4 panels 240w panels. 4 panels that cost less than $1K plus installation for $50K. Maybe that was then.

Today, you can get a complete and installed 10kW system for $35K in MA, and that system will zero out most families utility bill, plus the utility will pay you $550 for every mW of electricity you generate for 10 years, which will be 10 or 11mW a year with at 10kW system. Panels are guaranteed for 25 years and inverters for 10 years.

So if you add up your savings from the utility bill and the SRECs sold, you are looking at somewhere around $8K a year and at that amount, the system will pay for itself in a little over 4 years.

Looking at it differently, you make a $35K investment and get a 22% return on your investment each year for at least 10 years and if you sell your house, you can get the principle back.