Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dkim73

Working AVAs with teasers?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Trying to find previous links under the search function, but can't. If I'm using Avas with a sand eel teasers in the daytime (tsunami) ... Am I only working on the sand, just above the sand, middle of the water column, or towards the surface? Or up and down through all. I have always used them in the middle at a moderate speed, but was wondering if i should stay near the sand and go slower? Any suggestions, I would appreciate. Thanks!

David

p.s. Or if there are any links to previous postings.

Ya gotta try all of the water columns. I usually let it sink, then give it a few fast turns to get it moving a bit, then I slow it down, hop it, speed it up, slow down, hop it, rinse and repeat. Some times fish are up high, so I reel it abit faster. Ya gotta mix it up and see what they want, same as with any lure, Striper fishing 101 :)

When they are on the bottom and hitting the teaser, you don't even need a jig. I've been known to put on a 2 oz sinker instead of the jig. Casts farther and they still hit the teaser. :th:

Just hop the sinker or jig back to the beach. At each hop swim the teaser a few strokes by waving your rod tip forward and back before the next hop.

sorry for the noob interruption...what is AVA? I googled "Ava fishing" and found pics and videos of little girls fishing..lol

**edit...found it! thanks

Its a diamond jig with a tube on the end. I prefer a Pt. Jude Po-Jee.. but thats just me.

Don't mean to intrude on your thread but its the same topic: Could anyone write up 'how to' for rigging the teaser? what type? Images helpful, etc. I've never fished Ava with teasers, but I do have some diamond jigs with the plastic tube at the end. I'm reading that many have great success recently so I like to try. Thanks

Sorry, I don't have pictures, but here are a few suggestions.

Things to use as a teaser in the fall: Find some flies that match a long, thing profile: deceivers, surf candy, clouser, ez eels. Rubbah: Red gils. Vision sand eels. Small sluggos.

I use a short, stiff lead to the teaser so I don't have to monkey around with the teaser getting wrapped up in the main line on every cast. 4 inches of 50lb mono. I tied that direct to a barrel swivel and tie my main leader to the same barrel. Voila. Pretty simple rig.

Sorry, I don't have pictures, but here are a few suggestions.

Things to use as a teaser in the fall: Find some flies that match a long, thing profile: deceivers, surf candy, clouser, ez eels. Rubbah: Red gils. Vision sand eels. Small sluggos.

I use a short, stiff lead to the teaser so I don't have to monkey around with the teaser getting wrapped up in the main line on every cast. 4 inches of 50lb mono. I tied that direct to a barrel swivel and tie my main leader to the same barrel. Voila. Pretty simple rig.

I've been using the same setup the past few years. It gets tangled every once and a while but no problems other than that.

Don't mean to intrude on your thread but its the same topic: Could anyone write up 'how to' for rigging the teaser? what type? Images helpful, etc. I've never fished Ava with teasers, but I do have some diamond jigs with the plastic tube at the end. I'm reading that many have great success recently so I like to try. Thanks

Try reading this: http://www.stripersonline.com/a/leaders-knots-and-teaser-rigs

Dkim,

Yes, it works. The teaser looks like a smaller fish being chased by Ava and you will probably catch more on the teaser.

I was on the beach today and there were about 50 or so people up and down and to a man, almost all were using the Ava with a tube and a teaser. The setup has been working for a long time.

All, i know how it works. I just wanted to know how to work it better. The other guy stole my thread on how to tie it, etc.

David

Ps. Not a big deal about stealing my thread. We are all learning. Good luck!