Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leatherface

Tomato Question

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I am going to prepare a dinner for my wife for her birthday next week and the recipe calls for:

1 pound of fresh roma tomatos - peeled, seeded and chopped

Do they come like that or do I need to do that myself?

Thanks!

I am going to prepare a dinner for my wife for her birthday next week and the recipe calls for:

1 pound of fresh roma tomatos - peeled, seeded and chopped

Do they come like that or do I need to do that myself?

Thanks!

It's on you.

to peel, slice a small X at the bottom of each tomato and blanch in boiling water (maybe ten seconds). pull them out and the skins should peel right off.

to seed: cut each tomato in half, lengthwise. with the cut (flat) side down in your hand and your thumb over the rounded side to hold it in place, give it a swift, violent shake (over a sink is good since this can get a bit messy). the seeds should fly right out.

Really? ahhh.. well she is definitely worth it so I guess my next question would be how does one go about doing that?

So there are no cans involved? LOL

When a recipe calls for "fresh", you can assume that there are no cans involved. ;):D

Really? ahhh.. well she is definitely worth it so I guess my next question would be how does one go about doing that?

So there are no cans involved? LOL

There can be...what are youuu making?

Curious, and not completely off topic. How many people bother to seed fresh tomatoes when they cook? I do remove the skins with the blanching method mentioned here, but I don't bother to seed them. Does it make a difference? Romas are already low on seeds.

Romas are pretty firm and meaty, we freeze them whole.

When you thaw them out, the skins fall right off.

Halve them and the seeds can be removed easily with a spoon (usually don't bother)

Curious, and not completely off topic. How many people bother to seed fresh tomatoes when they cook? I do remove the skins with the blanching method mentioned here, but I don't bother to seed them. Does it make a difference? Romas are already low on seeds.

Even for paste types that have few seeds I always remove them since they can get bitter when cooked and basically ruin any dish.

I never understood the skinning part though - why bother?

I just squeeze out the seeds, rough chop, drizzle a little oil, dash of salt, roast, then puree. Blanching, icebath, skinning - seems like a whole lot of trouble for nothin.

Even for paste types that have few seeds I always remove them since they can get bitter when cooked and basically ruin any dish.

I never understood the skinning part though - why bother?

I just squeeze out the seeds, rough chop, drizzle a little oil, dash of salt, roast, then puree. Blanching, icebath, skinning - seems like a whole lot of trouble for nothin.

Normally the blanched tomatoes get put through a mill where the uncooked sauce is allowed to drain while the seeds and skin remain. I know a lot of people who don't like to eat tomato skin and especially seeds. When you are making batches of sauce for canning its well worth the trouble. I don't see the need to use fresh tomatoes as there are many canned that is just as good if not better than fresh.

Well all I could find was grape roma tomatoes, so it took a little longer to prepare than I expected, but in the end, my wife loved it! Thanks for the tips! :D

Many times, especially this time of year until next summer, grape tomatoes are your best bet anyway if you are using fresh.