Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robert Williams

1% of the country controls 42% of the wealth.

Rate this topic

184 posts in this topic

That statement is actually a bit misleading. The top 1% of this country control exactly 100% of the wealth that they created and earned and accumulated. And the other 99% control exactly 100% of their own wealth, too.

I control my wealth. You control your wealth. And everyone else controls their own wealth. And no one controls the wealth that isn't their own.

You gotta problem wid dat? :squid:

The top 1% don't control an unfair portion of the wealth in this country. They control the fair portion of their own wealth. All of it. 100%. Just like you and me have 100% control of our own wealth. If you think you should have some of "their" money (the 1%), please explain. Otherwise I assume you agree with me that the propaganda about the "unequal distribution of wealth" in this country is specious commie bull*hit propaganda.

Wealth control. The people that make it control it. As it should be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Williams View Post

That statement is actually a bit misleading.

no it's accurate.

1% of the people control 42% of the wealth of the nation.

If you think that's fair, fine.

If you think it's economically healthy, fine.

If you don't think it's proof that the system is rigged in their favor, fine.

but it's not misleading.

no it's accurate.

1% of the people control 42% of the wealth of the nation.

If you think that's fair, fine.

If you think it's economically healthy, fine.

If you don't think it's proof that the system is rigged in their favor, fine.

but it's not misleading.

Utterly incorrect.

It is not the wealth OF the nation.

It's wealth IN the nation.

You can test that by asking yourself, if the person with the wealth expatriates, does this country get to keep their money? And the answer is "NO". Because the money isn't "of the nation". It's "of the individual".

These people control their own wealth, not "the nations' wealth". By no legal or semantic test of ownership does their wealth belong to "the nation". That's a communist principle and while you may or may not philosophically ascribe to such a communist principle, the fact is that this nation at this point does not have communal wealth and you don't get a distribution of the communal national wealth because you get what YOU earn and everyone else gets what THEY earn.

So your statement isn't just misleading. It's wrong. What's in a word, huh? The wealth IN the bank vs. the wealth OF the bank. Not the same thing at all. Not the same thing for this country, either.

Dispensing with dishonest word games helps clear things up. Now, once again. What's wrong with you controlling YOUR money and everyone else controlling THEIR money?

You gotta problem wid dat?

Ya know the whole premise of the occupy squatters is that they have a claim to other people's money.

Quote:

Utterly incorrect.

It is not the wealth OF the nation.

It's wealth IN the nation.

you can parse words all you want,

but people KNOW what the statistic means,

I don't think anyone is being mislead.

Quote:

Dispensing with dishonest word games helps clear things up. Now, once again. What's wrong with you controlling YOUR money and everyone else controlling THEIR money?

You gotta problem wid dat?

See I think this is the dishonest word game......

saying that 1% of the people control 42% of the wealth is just a statement of fact.

you can argue that you want it worded differently,

and that is fine.

but to go from a statement of fact,

to an assertion that citing that fact implies you want to control other people's money,

or deny them control,

is a bit of a leap.

can you explain how you went from one to the other?!!?

Ya know the whole premise of the occupy squatters is that they have a claim to other people's money.

Yes, I know. That's the communist crap I'm talking about right there. And I know there are people here who have been very, very supportive of the OWS message, so I thought it would be good to ask them if they approve this communist sentiment and if, so, why they feel they have a right to other peoples' money.

The specious argumentation is simple. You total all the personal wealth in the country. You then then change one word almost imperceptibly and claim that's the wealth OF the country, instead of the wealth IN the country. Then, you argue that as a citizen of that country, you deserve your fair share of that country's wealth.

It's a very dishonest sophistic manipulation of the truth.

I don't think this country, as a whole, is getting suckered into buying any of it, but there's no shortage of people trying to run this con game on us, from the people milling around Zucotti Park to the people on this board that approve their communist message.

Quote:

And I know there are people here who have been very, very supportive of the OWS message,

"But Monkeys"

"I don't support what these people are doing...........BUT...................."cwm27.gif

See I think this is the dishonest word game......

saying that 1% of the people control 42% of the wealth is just a statement of fact.

you can argue that you want it worded differently,

and that is fine.

but to go from a statement of fact,

to an assertion that citing that fact implies you want to control other people's money,

or deny them control,

is a bit of a leap.

can you explain how you went from one to the other?!!?

I don't have to guess what the dishonest word game is. I'm going to point it out explicitly.

The richest 1% control 42% of the wealth IN this country. To my best knowledge, those numbers are accurate and I think we agree.

The dishonest part is trying to claim that the wealth they control is the wealth OF THE NATION instead of their own wealth. And then further arguing that because it's the wealth of "the nation" there's something wrong with them controlling so much of it.

It's their OWN wealth. You have a problem with them controlling it? if not, then you can't say there's something wrong with them controlling 42% of the wealth in this country. They created it. They control it.

If you don't have a problem with that, then why are you arguing? If you do have a problem with that, then what is it?

you can parse words all you want,

but people KNOW what the statistic means,

I don't think anyone is being mislead.

If it's their money, what's wrong with them controlling it?

Either there's nothing wrong with people controlling their own wealth --- or there IS something wrong with it, but you'd have to explain what's wrong with people controlling their own wealth if that's a problem.

If not, then 1% controlling their own wealth isn't a problem whether you add it up and divide by all the heads in this country and come up with a number higher or lower than 42%. That's irrelevant as long as it's their own wealth that they have accumulated (as opposed to some great powers that be just slicing them a really huge piece of a pie that belongs to all of us).

Quote:

It's a very dishonest sophistic manipulation of the truth.

I don't think this country, as a whole, is getting suckered into buying any of it, but there's no shortage of people trying to run this con game on us, from the people milling around Zucotti Park to the people on this board that approve their communist message.

headscratch.gif

the people of the USA have an amount of wealth =  X

1% of the people control .42X

why or how is that dishonest?

you might disagree with how the statistic is being used.

but the statement is pretty straight forward,

clear,

concise

and not in the slightest bit misleading.

Quote:

If it's their money, what's wrong with them controlling it?

1% of the US population controls 42% of the wealth.

where do you see any condemnation contained in that statement of fact?

:huh:

the people of the USA have an amount of wealth =  X

1% of the people control .42X

why or how is that dishonest?

That's honest. You didn't try to frame it as "the nation's wealth" with an implication that we all have some right to it as citizens with that wording. In this context, there's nothing to be upset about is there?

It's when you try to frame it as "the nation's wealth" so that the argument can be made that it's unfair for some people to have such a large percentage of it that the argument gets dirty and dishonest.

As long as there's no misleading insinuation that the money belongs to anyone but the people who earned it, there's no reason to feel shortchanged because they control their own money.

1% of the US population controls 42% of the wealth.

where do you see any condemnation contained in that statement of fact?

There isn't any condemnation in that statement. Nor should there be. So are you saying you agree there shouldn't be condemnation in that statement? I don't think there's any reason for condemnation because people control their own wealth, no matter what percentage of the wealth IN the nation that might be.

Shall I assume you agree there's nothing unfair about that, then? If not, explain.

Wealth is not owned by a nation. (Well, only in a communist nation is the wealth owned by the state).

"The wealth of a nation" does not mean the state owns the wealth; same way "the cars in my neighborhood" does not mean that my homeowners association owns the cars.

Equivocation... it's a piker argument tactic.

Wealth belongs to individuals, not to nation/states. We all believe this when it counts. For example, when some punk stops you on the street with a gun in your face and says "give me your wallet" NO ONE says "here pal, it's not my wealth... its the governments wealth... hey wait, let's go to my house and get you some more of the government's wealth out of my home safe... got time? or are you in a hurry?"

People only pretend to believe its all collective wealth when they want to be the guy with the gun.