Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mofish

Let your voice be heard! Nov. 9th

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Just reading threw my e-mail, I got this Sunday and I thought I'll share with you guys.

Update on the Campaign to Save The Bunker

Hello Fellow Anglers!

The Battle for the Bunker is coming into the final days.

The Menhaden Defenders and a wide group of fishing, environmental organizations and concerned citizens produced over 90,000 comments to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries

Commission!

Thank you so much for your support. Each one of those comments is from a

person who supports strong conservation measures to protect menhaden

and the marine food web.

On Wednesday, November 9 the ASMFC (Atlantic States Marine Fisheries

Commission) will vote on the proposal to protect menhaden.

If you live in the Boston area, please consider attending the meeting.

The Menhaden could use your support! For more information email

captpaul@menhadendefenders.org .

The meeting will be as follows:

November 9

11:00 AM- 12:15 PM & 1:45 - 3:00 PM

Langham Hotel

250 Franklin Street

Boston, MA

Phone: 617.451.1992

Thanks again. We will let you know the results of our efforts!

Tight lines,

Capt. Paul

I would love to make but I'll be working..So if anyone have time make a trip and give them your two cents.

A followup on what took place yesterday regarding the above.

I'm quoting in part from this mornings Boston Globe......

.............." the ASMFC voted to reduce the catch of menhaden by as much as 37% of the number caught last year. The commercial fishing industry has long lobbied against reducing the catch, asserting that the menhaden population remains healthy and that jobs will be jeopardized.

Among the most vocal opponents of the catch reduction, which will take effect in 2013, was a Texas based company called Omega Protein Inc.

Officials at the Pew Environmental Grouip said, by weight, more menhaden are caught than any other fish on the East Coast, and that has resulted in substantial changes in what many of their predators eat. In the '50's, they said, nearly 80% of the diet of striped bass was composed of menhaden; last year, that figure dropped to about 7%. In the '80's, three quarters of the prey ospreys ate menhaden; last year the fish composed less than 25% of their diet.

Pat Paquette of the MSBA was quoted as saying.....we really view the mehaden as the most important fish in the sea. Our waters are in crisis, and this vote will help. We hope to see a turn-around within the next five years. "...........

I've heard through the grapevine that George W. owns that company. For what it's worth.

The link with GHWB was through Zapata Oil, which at one time, as a holding company, purchased the predecessor to Omega Protein.

Zapata Oil was formed by GHWB and his Texas wildcat buddies some years back.

Zapata Oil was in some pretty interesting stuff ( :shaky: ) from its inception up until GHWB left the CIA.

I'm guessing, but I very much doubt if GHWB still has stock in it, or even Zapata Oil, at this point in his life.