Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RareVos

Daiwa Pluton: Where on earth does this part go?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I recently cleaned my Pluton and discovered it was making a weird "tick tick tick" noise when I was cranking.  But, the noise stopped when I had the rod pointed up.  So I get in there and have a look... and find this metallic claw looking apparatus is making contact with the worm gear.  So, I can't figure out what this thing is supposed to be doing.  I checked out the parts diagram... and as best as I can tell this is part 36, the "stopper."  As shown in the picture.. I moved it into an out of the way kind of position, where (as best as I can tell) it isn't touching anything.  Or doing anything.  But, the reel works fine.  So is it really doing some important thing when I put the side plate back on?  Maybe it is just... ornamental??

pluton-guts.jpg

That is also called an anti reverse dog. It should go under the main gear. If you look under the main gear there is a large toothed gear part # 87 the clutch wheel. The two thin metal arms on the dog should be pinching this gear. Did you remove the dog from its original location while you were cleaning the reel? It looks like it might not be on the correct post. If you did not remove it than basically it should be turned about 180* from where you have it in the photo but it does not look like there is enough clearance or a post to prevent it from coming off the clutch wheel. When the handle tries to turn backwards the arms force the heavier part to lock into the teeth of the clutch wheel preventing the handle from turning backwards. Your reel was working correctly because the funtion of the part in question is a secondary anti- reverse backing up the anti-reverse bearing that is on the drive shaft and postioned in the side plate.

John

No, I did not move it from that post.  I had previously tried to position it as you described, over the clutch wheel, but it didn't stay put.  I'll give it another go later on.  Thanks for your help.

in the picture its actually reversed ie the dog, as stated above, the 2 thin pieces of metal slide over the top and bottom of the toothed gear for the manual anti reverse, and that piece should be 180 ed around

No, I did not move it from that post.  I had previously tried to position it as you described, over the clutch wheel, but it didn't stay put.  I'll give it another go later on.  Thanks for your help.

It is not staying put because when the clutch wheel turns it is throwing the dog off. The back of the dog has to have a stop to prevent it from coming off the clutch wheel. Did you remove a post of something that the acts as a stop to the dog?

John

missing #44 clutch cam spring and the diagram sux it goes probably in the hole on the dog and on the shaft that the dog is on

i think................

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jae View Post

missing #44 clutch cam spring and the diagram sux it goes probably in the hole on the dog and on the shaft that the dog is on

i think................

I see what you are saying... but I think that is the wrong part of the reel.  I am going to call out to Daiwa here in minute and see if I can get a tech on the phone.  They are usually really good about that kind of support.

UPDATE:

According to Daiwa tech support, the anti-reverse dog is on the post upside down.  In the correct configuration, the thin metal arms go a little further over the clutch wheel... thereby staying in place.  Problem solved!