Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jameso20o

Herring!

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Mmmmmmmm...... can't wait until the sea herring show up in a month or two. I am going to fish for them and pickle some. I will freeze most and use them for bait when the Stripers come in the Spring. I found these videos which are very elaborate and taught me how to pickle them, if anyone wants to know how.

do the fishery a favor and try a small batch first, see if you like them before making up buckets of the stuff. its pretty gross dude. fresh, fried or even raw and herring are nice, but pickled fish tastes about as good as it sounds, kinda like left-out-in-the-sun-bait flavored jello.

Can they even legally be harvested? I thought they were protected in CT because of low numbers. Or is he not referring to the alewives and bluebacks, i.e. "river herring"?

sea herring andrew - totally different species :th:

marginally edible too- anyone who wants to eat river herring needs to have their head examined.

do the fishery a favor and try a small batch first, see if you like them before making up buckets of the stuff. its pretty gross dude. fresh, fried or even raw and herring are nice, but pickled fish tastes about as good as it sounds, kinda like left-out-in-the-sun-bait flavored jello.

Never tried it, are you saying that fried herring is good?

Herring fishing went well today. I caught around 10 I froze and will use in the spring. A ripping tide in a channel/creek outflow seems to be the key. Somebody actually caught a small striper on a sabiki rig! :D :D