Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TACKLE JUNKIE

Former heavyweight champ Joe Frazier dies of cancer at 67

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Joe Frazier, a tough, underrated heavyweight boxer from Philadelphia and one of the sport's fiercest competitors who spent a lifetime playing second fiddle to his nemesis,Muhammad Ali, died Monday night from liver cancer. He was 67.

• Heavyweight boxing legend Joe Frazier has died at age 67.

By Bebeto Matthews, AP

Heavyweight boxing legend Joe Frazier has died at age 67.

Frazier's death was announced in a statement by his family, who asked to be able to grieve privately.

Frazier was diagnosed with cancer in late September, said his personal and business manager, Leslie Wolff. 

if you are going to go, that fast and at that age isnt too bad...

he was one tough SOB, thats for sure..that hook that put down Ali was probably the greatest punch ever thrown...

if you are going to go, that fast and at that age isnt too bad...

he was one tough SOB, thats for sure..that hook that put down Ali was probably the greatest punch ever thrown...

The funny thing is that Frazier actually landed a better one later in the 15th round that Ali (sort of) withstood...

yea, I mean that in terms of the power , but also simple aesthetics, that was a beautiful punch..the still shot of him throwing it, with his feet off the ground is awesome...

Yup - that still shot is one of the classic sports photos (from any sport) of all time...Btw, they say the only fight in which Ali had his jaw broken was against Ken Norton...But if I didn't know those specifics and someone simply asked me what fight Ali had his jaw broken in, I wouldn't guessed this fight, given how badly his right side of his face was swollen

think they did, i think the fued was more on fraziers side...

although I do remember frazier saying something to the effect of "look at him now, and look at me"...hinting that he was more punch drunk than parkinsons or whatever he has..

think they did, i think the fued was more on fraziers side...

although I do remember frazier saying something to the effect of "look at him now, and look at me"...hinting that he was more punch drunk than parkinsons or whatever he has..

Although that comment was a bit of a cheap shot, there is probably some truth to it. Most people don't realize that you can have parkinson's syndrome (parkinson's like symptoms caused by the same effect of lack of the neurotransmitter dopamine being transmitted - but through known causes such as head trauma and drug use) or parkinson's disease, to which there is no known cause for it's manifestation...my guess (and only a guess since I'm not anywhere near the inner circles) is that Ali had the syndrome while someone like Michael J Fox has the disease

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugeDinghy View Post

with the crap boxing I grew up with, i cant imagine what it was like to live through those days of boxing...

It was cool.  A boxing match was an event, those old guys knew how to promote events.

The Martial arts guys are making the sport out to be something different-all things to as many people as possible.

I have a great fight story.  Tyson Spinks, 1988.  Crew loses satellite feed at Atlanta Civic Center.  Fight starts.  Crew to regain feed in  three minutes.  Fight over in 2.

Riot.  Crew gets GA State Patrol ride out of venue.