Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
basstardo

Table saw recommendations

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Looking to pick up a table saw for some work being done around the house. We're going to be doing things like kitchen cabinet repairs, some bookcases possibly, and also some other general woodworking things. Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand and model of saw? Keep in mind, I'm not a contractor here, but just homeowner level stuff. I was looking at the Porter Cable 10" that runs 299 at Lowe's.

This the one you're looking at? For a light-duty homeowners saw, I see nothing wrong with it. i wouldn't expect a lot of heavy-duty use out if it though. I don't know how accurate it is, but I guess if you don't beat the crap out of it, you'll be ok. I have an older Delta Unisaw which is almost impossible to kill, but that's a stationary saw with a 36" fence, so it's heavy and takes up a lot of "dedicated" space. Good luck and good luck with your new saw, whichever you choose. Keep the blade guard on and always wear safety glasses!!!!!!

This the one you're looking at? For a light-duty homeowners saw, I see nothing wrong with it. i wouldn't expect a lot of heavy-duty use out if it though. I don't know how accurate it is, but I guess if you don't beat the crap out of it, you'll be ok. I have an older Delta Unisaw which is almost impossible to kill, but that's a stationary saw with a 36" fence, so it's heavy and takes up a lot of "dedicated" space. Good luck and good luck with your new saw, whichever you choose. Keep the blade guard on and always wear safety glasses!!!!!!

that saw stinks, get yourself a rigid, they make great tools believe or not,

Actually found that thread, thanks. There was a TON of good info in there. I'm decided to hold off on the saw for a bit because I remembered a couple old tricks my Grandpa taught from back in his days. Clamping a piece of wood to use as a guide, etc. Just found out about 10%-15% of my kitchen floor is rotted out and some of the floor joists are hosed from previous termite infestations. Looks like the money for the table saw is going to fix that. Took everything down to the sub floor last night and it's darn ugly. Fortunately, I already have all the tools I need to fix what's wrong in there now. Table saw will be coming shortly though, because new cabinets are a must at this point. Thanks for the input gents. ;)

I'm really happy with the smaller DeWalt 10 inch table saw, and I'm not a DeWalt fan at all. It has an excellent fence, something that is lacking in most of the portable saws. It has tubular steel frame so it won't break apart when you slide it around or put it into your truck. I've killed both the current Makita and Bosch portables. The DeWalt seems to be made of sterner stuff.

I've had the Dewalt for 8 years and it's been superb. My only complaint and it's minor, is the Teflon table surface can sometimes be too slick. 

Agree that Rigid makes good stuff. I bought their top of the line wet saw for tile. Love that thing. Their plunge router is working well also.