Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lockbox

Are you a really a good fiaherman or women

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

i fish with numerous fishermen and women these fishing buddy's fish day and night we fish from mid april til the end of December, we fish many nights a week and many days during the week i am 63 years of age i have had serious medical problems but i will not give up there reason i am mentioning my background is because i go out night after night and if there is not a run of fish i see the same few people on the beach for example i travel es the night before last 12 miles of east Hampton beaches and i could count on one finger how many other fishermen were fishing this happened day time and night time. i just finished fishing moriches to night and again no one was out there .i feel that my friends the people i know on the beach and me are real fishermen why i say that is that i fish for the love of the sport not because there is a run of fish . i love the hunt to find big fish or just fish. i find it more exciting to hunt for the fish than a phone call from someone and going down to a run where the fish are everywhere. now here is my question are these people who only fish when the fishing is real good and they only go fishing when there is a run of fish and they get the phone call. are they really fishermen or are they just a joke i feel they could not get a 30 pounder on there own . or even a 20 pounder on there own if they had to hunt for that fish what do you think of people who only fish when there is a run or they wait for a phone call for big fish or fish in large numbers are they really fishermen or are they a joke,,i am out night after night and they are not there until we find the fish and the word gets out. or others like us find the fish and the word gets out then these fishermen are everywhere..what is your thoughts on this.

I love to fish a "run" or a hot spot as much as the next person, but to fish only in those circumstances is no longer satisfying. I can set the hook on a fish and hand it to a child to reel in, and they certainly enjoy that. The mature enjoyment of fishing for me is to solve the riddle of nature that is a fish. On the other extreme, to catch fish by blind persistance alone -- hours and days devoted to repeating the same tactics until a fish chances to pass by -- is also insufficient. I have to be able to tilt the odds in my favor by being at the right place at the right time -- by my own analysis. The ability to be selective in expending the time and energy required to catch prey is the mark of any good predator. The ability to catch prey sufficient to justify the energy expended is also important. I think the two come together when I can conduct enough gathering of information to be in the right general area at the right time and with the right equipment for the task. Then the number of fish, or the number of pounds of fish, per unit of effort should increase as a consequence of my skill. Because I have to travel far and taking fish home is impractical I consider it a victory to catch and release a fish, large or small. In fact, I consider it a "moral victory" to see other fishermen be the ones lucky enough to catch if they are using the tactics I also planned use at the location I sought out. Best of all is to come with my own methods and succeed when others around me are failing. Those rare instances are my greatest victories. More commonly I imitate what I see others doing successfully, adding it to my mental tacklebox of strategies for varying conditions.

Good or bad? I don't know. But I have a passion for this thing we do. I have always had it in my heart, since a young boy, to go fishing when I can. It's what I do when I have the time to get out there. I know my spots, I know what to do at the different locations that I fish. I learned this over the years, not just over night. It is years of doing this thing and knowing what and how to do it, is what makes the difference, to me anyhow.

I can't get out every night, but would love that. To me, it's not always about catching, but just doing what I love. Like I said, I have a passion for it. Not only for the fishing, but all that is associated with what I do. 

I for one don't like crowds, but have fished at spots that are busy with others. Not my cup of tea. I generally fish alone, except for a few that have a passion for this thing as well and I will fish with them. 

I like finding new spots, and putting to use what I've learned over the years to see if a new spot pays off. I've caught many fish over many years, and as I like to target bigger bass today, I still like when I get a hit or a bump in the night. This gets the excitement going and this I love. I feel like a kid out there sometimes. 

I like sharing this feeling of excitement with the young ones or the young fellows that remind me of me. I like to listen to others as well, I like to see the fire inside them for this bass fishing. This I like as well, the genuine thrill one gets from just talking about this thing we do. The excitement that can only come from having a desire for being out there. To me fishing isn't a selfish thing when it comes to knowledge, it must be shared with the ones that want to know how to fish and who have a desire for it. Someone taught me the basics years ago, to pass this knowledge along.

I fish in the rain, sleet, or snow because I love this thing we do. I have a passion for it and all that goes with it! So, am I a good fisherman? I am what I do. And I love it!smile.gif

I go as often as I can, I dont get to fish the salt as much as I would like since I live about an hour + from it (have been getting out about twice a week since the beginning of Oct.), but I am out there often enough regardless of reports, and I have several skunkings in a row to prove it!. I've pretty much accepted I suck at the surf, but I still love it, so good or bad fisherman, I dont care how you categorize me, I go whenever I can and I love it everytime, I just love it a little more when I catch something. For the record, I have a lot more time fishing FW and consider myself a good FW fisherman, the surf has humbled me ...

I think I have the experience and knowledge base to consider myself "good", but I don't have the ability to put enough time on the water to get a handle on patterns like I used to. Life dictates I fish at certain times, and they are rarely the "right" times. Consequently, I don't catch consistently or like I could, but catching at this point is little more than a bonus - just getting out of the house and out on the water has enough value in and of itself.

I think I have the experience and knowledge base to consider myself "good", but I don't have the ability to put enough time on the water to get a handle on patterns like I used to. Life dictates I fish at certain times, and they are rarely the "right" times. Consequently, I don't catch consistently or like I could, but catching at this point is little more than a bonus - just getting out of the house and out on the water has enough value in and of itself.

Could not have said that better if i tried :th:

No.  Sometimes I catch fish and a lot of times I don't--particularly recently.

I'm happy that I know enough to not feel totally ignorant and, knowledgeable enough to know that fishing is like math or music:  one can always keep learning.

I enjoy the experience without needing to catch fish (but feeling the hit is really a great experience)* and when I don't, I call it "no luck."  smile.gif

*When I first joined this SOL community, I had use the signature line:   "It was the jolting strike itself, the synaptic speed of that righteous moment when you feel the abrupt weight of the fish on the line." ~ Howell Raines  

I'm not much good at all. I really enjoy it and if I catch a fish I enjoy it even more. What I do enjoy are the friendships I have made while participating in fishing

and fishing related activities.

i'd say i'm a decent angler.

i know i'm at that point in my fishing life where i've caught fish, i've caught lots of fish, i've caught big fish, i've caught lots of big fish and i've done it on all types of tackle. the real joy for me now is just getting out on the water. sometimes i don't even fish. i get more joy out of seeing others catch their first, or their first big fish, or their first bunch of fish than i do from doing it myself. even better if i'm a part of helping that happen.

now here is my question are these people who only fish when the fishing is real good and they only go fishing when there is a run of fish and they get the phone call. are they really fishermen or are they just a joke

do you think of people who only fish when there is a run or they wait for a phone call for big fish or fish in large numbers are they really fishermen or are they a joke,,

I personally don't think anybody is a joke as everybody has there own thing going on and enjoy fishing for a number of different reasons.. Are they fishermen, I would say so,, they still have to catch and land the fish and battle the surroundings doing so..

Sure I see a new breed of fishermen out there at key times using todays technology to put them into the action but if doesn't bother me.. I guess because I enjoy fishing to a pretty crazy degree ( at least that is what my other half tells me :D ) through the good and bad times 9-10 months every year and I like to see others have success also and the excitment it brings to them no matter how they got there..

Steve

No matter if your terrible or very good everybody can improve with dedication. Not much can make me happier than to be standing in the wash at 4:30 am:):):th::th: whether i catch or don't catch is not what i base things on, i'm just thrilled to be there.

i dont know that they are a joke cause they dont put in the time others do. I like to get out and fish. I like it when there are no more than a few people out there at night so I can have my chioce of rocks and i like the hunt. others wanna just blitz fish, to each his own. the thing i dislike is the mob showing up and acting like idiots. i dont care how you fish , its how you behave that counts more to me.