Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
126andy

Outside outlet

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I want to put an outlet outside by my driveway so that I can use an electric snow blower. I'm tired of trying to use the gas ones they start every time first pull until I get snow on the ground and then I can pull until the snow melts and it wont start.

I don't know a lot about putting one in should I just run to my fuse panel or come off another outlet inside the basement? I'm guessing that I can do this myself without calling an electrician (or the fire dept or rescue for me) with a little advise from my fishing friends here. Thanks for any help

I want to put an outlet outside by my driveway so that I can use an electric snow blower. I'm tired of trying to use the gas ones they start every time first pull until I get snow on the ground and then I can pull until the snow melts and it wont start.

I don't know a lot about putting one in should I just run to my fuse panel or come off another outlet inside the basement? I'm guessing that I can do this myself without calling an electrician (or the fire dept or rescue for me) with a little advise from my fishing friends here. Thanks for any help

if it was me I would run a direct wire to the panel, and I would make it a 20amp circuit, matt :)

GFI, wet location box etc. Think need to have wet location in use covers on everything now. Yo have outdoor outlets now just in wrong place or none? You intend to hang box on what near the driveway, side of the house?

GFI, wet location box etc. Think need to have wet location in use covers on everything now. Yo have outdoor outlets now just in wrong place or none? You intend to hang box on what near the driveway, side of the house?

bingo, I forgot about this, you need a gfci on all outside circuits,

I am not an electrician but when i added an outlet to the front of my house I went to True Value (could probably get one at Ace or Homeys also) as they had a kit on sale for about $22 that had all the stuff included. Gfci with a box, outlet cover and all the hardware. I put it on the outside of an inside outlet in the dining room after turning off the power to the outlet,removing the plug and drilling a hole through the rear of the box to the outside.Wired the new outlet off the inside plug and was done. Be sure to caulk /silicone the edges of the box to keep rainwater out. You could also Google how to install outside outlets and probably have a full day of reading..Goodluck..John

Figure out what the snowblower draws and go from there.

My house? i would make it a home run of 10Ga and use a weather tight box.

And yes it is supposed to be a GFI, outlet or breaker.

My snow blower is 8hp and it has no problem starting on 15A circuit so don't think they draw all that much to start. If you can I would still make a home run 20A but if tied into existing exterior 15A outlet circuit with a gfci should be fine. Maybe just a personal problem but I don't like cutting into interior light or outlet circuits for things like this.

My snow blower is 8hp and it has no problem starting on 15A circuit so don't think they draw all that much to start. If you can I would still make a home run 20A but if tied into existing exterior 15A outlet circuit with a gfci should be fine. Maybe just a personal problem but I don't like cutting into interior light or outlet circuits for things like this.

The OP wants to use an electric snow blower.

What's the amp draw for the new electric blower?