Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jameso20o

How much do you think a 12 inch eel weighs?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Greetings. I am planning on using live eels for Striper fishing soon, as a few people I know are getting big ones of 'em in my area, and was wondering how much a 12 inch eel might weigh. Does anyone know?

That depends! I have caught my own eels ( from a spot I know... ) where some that long are only 1oz at best. I have also seen the sold ones that are mostly from Canada or Nova Scotia and they are some fat azz eels that I know weigh at least 2.5 to 3 oz. 12 inchs is kind of short IMO as well!! Man I need to get back out there and fish eels.. It was a blast and it worked!!

wether you catch them or buy them, it will vary. The guys that I fish with catch their's and they are FAT! I'd say 3-6 oz. The bait shop usually has skinnier ones that will go from 1 oz up

Yeah......went into a shop today and asked for the biggest eels they had.....the guy told me "they're too big, you won't catch anything with them".......IMO......with eels, the bigger the better.

Made them hand pick me the largest they had............

I have to agree!! 18 to 20 are the best size and you can agree or disagree. Big Bait= big fish!! Of course I've had bass take wood swimmers that if the swimmer had a mouth it would have taken a bite out of them!!