Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rustyjigz

Beach clean ups...

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

This is actually an EXCELLENT question.....

I would imagine those beaches would need a more frequent cleaning than those out east, like Shoreham.

They do need a cleaning. I do my part and take out more than I take in.

I see that certain organizations are cleaning beaches on LI, but seem to only clean them from FI east. What about the rest of LI from Lets just say Debs inlet west, we get no love?

Why always out east?

:waah:

Why don't you organize a couple next year. Get together with the appropriate agencies to get them to supply equipment like trucks to haul away the garbage (probably a loader or two for some of those beaches) and get it going?? I'll attend as i attend just about every other one. Seriously, contact NYC and get the ball rolling.

:waah:

I wasn't whining, I was asking a question.

Why don't you organize a couple next year. Get together with the appropriate agencies to get them to supply equipment like trucks to haul away the garbage (probably a loader or two for some of those beaches) and get it going?? I'll attend as i attend just about every other one. Seriously, contact NYC and get the ball rolling.

Tell me who to contact, I need names and organizations. :)

I think it has something to do with them being a part of Gateway which is federal. I know at least as far as the groups I belong to FCA and NRPA we get little to no coeperation from the feds. Much better with city parks dept. We do many cleanups a year across Staten Island. But as far as I know I have never heard of one done in Ft Wadsworth.

I wanted to organize a clean up several years ago for the bay side of Breezy Point. When I spoke with a couple of park rangers about it they were totally against it. They gave two reasons for why they were against it. First was they didn't want people walking in the dunes destroying the fragile vegetation. I can understand this, one only needs to look at what happened at Ft. Tilden after Irene. The dunes were washed out mostly in places where people had destroyed the vegetation by making their own paths to the beach. Second reason was because of birds nesting. It was spring time when I wanted to organize this & several bird species (not only piping plovers) nested at this time of year. Just relating my experience with the Gateway rangers.

We did one this Spring at North channel bridge. Windknot organized it.

The park rangers gave us garbage bags.

It was posted for quite a while here and on other sites although only about 8 of us showed up.

Unless free garbage bags are a major priority, you probably don't need much help from whoever "runs" the beach or park you're targeting. Just get some guys together and clean it.

The problem is you need the cooperation of the park management because who is going to arrange for the ultimate disposal of the debris? I know on SI if my group was going to do a cleanup in say Great Kills Park. We would comb the beach Then bag it up and then what? DSNY is never going to come into GKP it's not their jurisdiction. Now you see the problem we have. So proper arrangements have to be made. You would think they would be delighted to have volenteers clean these beaches but it's not always the case. One time we collected about a ton of trash and debris left it at a prearranged spot. It went uncollected for about three weeks by then the highest tides of the month "new moon" came and all the debris ended up back in the water. Quite discouraging and I would not have believed it if I did not see it for myself. So cooperation is key

The problem is you need the cooperation of the park management because who is going to arrange for the ultimate disposal of the debris? I know on SI if my group was going to do a cleanup in say Great Kills Park. We would comb the beach Then bag it up and then what? DSNY is never going to come into GKP it's not their jurisdiction. Now you see the problem we have. So proper arrangements have to be made. You would think they would be delighted to have volenteers clean these beaches but it's not always the case. One time we collected about a ton of trash and debris left it at a prearranged spot. It went uncollected for about three weeks by then the highest tides of the month "new moon" came and all the debris ended up back in the water. Quite discouraging and I would not have believed it if I did not see it for myself. So cooperation is key

There ya go....that's exactly what I was referring to in my post. A lot of things have to come together to get a beach clean-up to work. I always attend the beach clean-ups in Montauk and i know Tom Dess and NYS Parks have always cooperated with garbage bags, gloves, pickers, trucks to throw the garbage in, etc, etc. MSA always supplies food and beverages after and generally a good time is had by all...along with doing a good deed. Rusty, i have no idea who you would have to contact in order to arrange a clean-up, but I guess the Feds and NYC would be a good place to start.. Sorry about the whining thing..but it sure looked like it to me :) I haven't been to FBF since they had an airshow there...and that was a while ago. If you can actually get a few of these going and if my schedule is clear those days, I'll chip in and help clean-up. Thanks.

Ok, I see your point.

At North Channel Bridge there are garbage cans and we were instructed to just load our extra trash next to one of them.

At Floyd Bennet there are garbage cans too. I guess you're right though, it would be best to coordinate a pick-up of what would be much more trash than normal.

When I take stuff out of Breezy, I load it in my truck and put it in the cans at the 222St lot. It's disgusting what people leave there:mad:.