Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HugeDinghy

south carolina- thanksgiving

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

be in pawleys island but fishing from myrtle to charlston

have been there in the spring (april) and summer, but never around thanksgiving.

my understanding is i will be missing, or maybe getting the very very tail end of the fall bull red (redfish) run...

I'll have yak and a 17' boston whaler...but stick to the bays and creeks, not comfortable enough to run the inlets or offshore...

i know its basically a live mullet game down there but any suggestions would be appreciated...

prolly make a run to the condo in monks corner and do some LMB'n too....

Spottails can be caught 365 days a year. Baits vary from location to location. Get a cast net, minnow trap, and a crab trap and you'll have more than enough bait to figure them out.

If you were in the Southport area there are a couple of artificial reefs about a mile off the beach and some guys go out there with tiny skiffs and yaks on a calm day.

I don't know about the area too much down where your going to be at, but like others have said the Drum bite is good most of the year and you can catch Specks and Sheepshead.

The drum love Mullet and you will be able to find them up the creeks(although not nearly as numerous as in October) the larger Specks love them also, and of course their favorite live shrimp early in the mornings.

Sheepshead can be had by fishing fiddler crabs around pilings and they get big, a good tactic is to scrape the barnacles off the pilings with a metal hoe or old golf club at low tide and fish around them on the flood . Fiddlers are everywhere by the thousands at low tide on the flats. Good luck

be in pawleys island but fishing from myrtle to charlston

have been there in the spring (april) and summer, but never around thanksgiving.

my understanding is i will be missing, or maybe getting the very very tail end of the fall bull red (redfish) run...

I'll have yak and a 17' boston whaler...but stick to the bays and creeks, not comfortable enough to run the inlets or offshore...

i know its basically a live mullet game down there but any suggestions would be appreciated...

prolly make a run to the condo in monks corner and do some LMB'n too....

Hey DIngus!

Your almost, in god's fishing "****ry" " down there.

I was stationed in Charleston. Lived in MT Pleasant, for a year and "luved" every minute about it!

Like was previously posted great "spot" fishing year round. I don't know what the regs on the shrimp,crabs and mullet are these day's, however the bait is readily available. ;)

We lived right on the wonderful "WANDO" river. Fished it year round. It is very similar to where you fish now. ;) Other than in my borough :D.

You have a condo in MONKS? My wife and I used to fish the Santee every other weekend. Our son caught his first striper there. It took a little while to figure it out, however it has a lot of structure.

PS If ya need to borrow a cast net I have many, just SC shrimp for the rent. :D

PM me or call me if ya need a few. I think I also may have a few SC crab net's in the basement. ;)

Hey Ding,

We spoke a few times & I know you know the guy's at Pawleys Island Outdoors. I also have a good friend that Is a big Kayak guy & knows the area well. He use to manage the Orvis Store in Myrtle & a great guy.( Capt Mark )

If you want to PM Me I will give you his phone # & I know he can hook you up. He knows all the major guys down there.................Ron