Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Oliver

Surffishermike

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hi Mike,

Good to meet with you outside of Paulies and chew the cud on surf rod rod building. I really appreciated your insight and approach to Concept Guide work. Thanks. That Seeker blank you put together is just so perfect for Under The light work in M. Be nice if they would do a 10 footer for us if so I would buy one.

The fishing continued to be dire until the 25th Oct when we then had two good days before it shut down again. We managed to pick fish most days but it was a very slow and hard work pick. But heh it is a migratory fishery and we have to except that we can get periods when nothing much is happening. We still had a great time and will be back for sure God willing.

My best fish was a 35 inch caught on a Blurple Darter in the dark somewhere on the North Side.

Best fish for the Brits was Little Malcolm with a 17lb plus fish taken on a trip out on the Lazy Bones.

Great to meet your Son and that he fishes also, hope he stays with it.

Hope to see you again next year.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry I missed you. Saw the flags along the side of the road and was hoping to bump into you at Paulie's, but no luck. Hit the beach a lot this year for the first time with some luck. Largest was about 20 pounds with lots of shorts when the bite was on. Hope to see you next year.

Al

What can be said about Surffisher Mike.... Not much! LOL No really, Mike is one of those guys who is just a blast.. very intense about things he does and most of all he's passionate about family. Just a real good guy who I'm glad I met. Mike and I have thrashed out concept guide layouts and we both pretty much do it the same way, Common sense.

Mike has been a big help to me on my endeavours in to the next step and for that I thank him!!

This is like a tribute to SF Mike post.. LOL...:moon:

I think it is the other one because the 1008 is 10'.

Yes but we are making it into an 11'!! It could also be the CSJ90 but they have the CSJ100 so.... who knows!! The 1008 is kind of like a long 858.. kind of!! ahhh who knows!!

Surf and Billy,

Mike had several beach rods in his car.The composite rod which took my fancy he informed me was a Seeker blank but came as a std 9 foot and he had added a foot to the butt end and had trimmed a tad back from the tip. The blank was a 1 to 4oz roughly casting. This trimming of the tip worked well and allowed better working of Bucktails as the rod moved the Bucktail rather than bent into the weight of the Bucktail and tidal/current pressure. This blank can take some real stick and even a Googan high sticking it Under The Light would probably get away with it. In action it was not too far away from my GSB 132 1M blank. It was a little heavier than my GSB1201M but not so much as to put me off one bit. Now if this blank was available in a 10 foot and 11 foot 1 piece what a great rod for Montauk conditions it would make. After fishing 1 piece rods for a few years now I much prefer them to even good two piece surf rods.

Mike also had some secret squirrel rods with him which I am not at liberty to disclose the ID of that looked interesting to. It really is refreshing to meet a Rod Builder who is not precious about his rods but uses them to the fullest extent and if that means they get a bit of a bashing so be it. So many Guys limit their sport and engagement by trying to protect their gear from the elements ,as Surf said or was it Billy Mike gets it. I guess this is why we connected so well. LOL:D

Until next fall Guys.

Mikey. O.

Hi Mike,

Sorry I missed you. Saw the flags along the side of the road and was hoping to bump into you at Paulie's, but no luck. Hit the beach a lot this year for the first time with some luck. Largest was about 20 pounds with lots of shorts when the bite was on. Hope to see you next year.

Al

Al,

My fault we missed each other. My only excuse was I was fishing as hard as I could and that we had 3 sharing the car which makes taking it for my sole use a tad awkward. I forgot in my packing panic to put in high frame SVSG type guides I found in my old stock to team up with MN's which I did remember to pack to build this GSB1321M which has been sitting in M unbuilt now for at least two or three years. Maybe next year I will get myself sorted. Mind rod building with roughed up and cut hands is an interesting exercise. I appreciated your kind offer of a loan of your shop to do the finishing.

Great to hear you had good fishing from the shore. It ended just before we arrived and stayed that way for a very long time but thats fishing for you. A difficult year will never lessen my Love of Montauk and the need to return as often as I can.

The North winds felled two trees in our Garden and in the end totally destroyed our Flags. Please anytime you are passing just call in and if we are in and awake we can serve you tea or something stronger. You know you are always very welcome.

Until next Fall then AL

Mike

Hey Mike good meeitng you to. It was slow one of the weekends I was out the spend 4 hrs fishing slept in the car 1/2 hr fished the sunrise and did all that for 2 fish a 10 and 13-14lber, and that was a good trip. My son will definfitely stick wik the fishing, he better I let him cut his first class to be in Paulies tourn. (was on the board with an *.18lb blues for a few hours to). Great talking to you also, kinda like a mini nerbs meeting. Surfmaster is pertty good the 11' rod was hge 1008 extended a foot then 4 in cut off the tip. The smaller rod was the 858 (usually have that in the car even when Im not fishing).

Mike,

I really liked that 11 footer which was extended by yourself by a foot then reduced by 4 inches. So idiot proof a rod blank makers dream . No or few breakages. But a rod with a really nice feel and not a bad balance. What chance they would do a specific 11 footer for you Guys taking also into account the need for the tip to be slightly modified. Its a cracker of a blank and I am guessing not terribly expensive.

Best news yet, is that your Son is keen. He did very well to land such a big Blue and to get onto the Baord in M. Not many adults do that. Please tell him I am impressed.

Mike.

Yeah he's hooked, actaully had a 14lb striper the night before the tourn during out recon. First time I had him out at night, it was great.. I will pass on your kind words. Many have spoken ti seeker about such a blank but they seem uninterested.

Yeah he's hooked, actaully had a 14lb striper the night before the tourn during out recon. First time I had him out at night, it was great.. I will pass on your kind words. Many have spoken ti seeker about such a blank but they seem uninterested.

The 1108 isn't a complete failure. I think the bug is in the ear!!! Oh and Mike did you have a chance to break that 1267 rod yet??

That would be the other rod Mike O was talking about. I have fished it but havent gotten a fish on it yet. Just have gotten many fish, seems to blows hard west every time I head out east. Honestly i did miss one , a few hours in totally asleep standing on my rock and I miss a got hit. But its not over yet.