Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Anyone here ever fly a glider before?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

After an watching several gliders flying around during an abbreviated fishing trip with my daughter (W.Bolyston/Clinton area of MA), we decided to find the small/rural airport to watch them get towed up into the air...that was actually pretty cool. And we noticed they have a training service to learn how to fly these things...it looks like something I could get into after I finish school. Any one experienced here with some tales to tell?

Btw, here's a Youtube video someone posted from mostly inside the cockpit (some scenes from a wing mounted camera) - very cool stuff:

I live about 10 miles from a glider airport. It's right across the street from Walmart and Lowes and sometimes I hang around and watch them. Very cool. :th:

Definitely cool - one thing I didn't realize was how long the two aircraft remained cabled together...I'm assuming there must be a set altitude they must reach before disconnecting (not sure whether that would be an FAA thing or 'per airport protocol' thing)...but it was at least 4-5 minutes that the glider was being towed in the air

about the only way i can see myself doing that is pretty much the situation you describe...one of my kids expressing interest and me following up on it,...other than that, i am all set, myself anyway....

I've been a pilot for around 20 years, but I've never tried gliders before.

I was talking to a guy who flies them and he was telling me that a good glider pilot can ride the thermals for hundreds of miles.

They have a course they fly thats basically up & down the spine of the Allegheny Mountains.

They can stay up for as long as they have sunlight.

A college classmate was a glider pilot at Sugarbush Soaring, gave me and my oldest kid a ride one time, was very,very cool. 

He was a vermont soaring record holder, I can't find the record though. 

When I was 17 i took a few lessons in a Schweizer high-wing glider out of the Kutztown PA airport. The runway had a dip in it at the end to assist with takeoff. Was pretty fun, with the instructor sitting in the seat behind me. Getting towed up then pulling the release and feeling the glider come free was cool too. Much different than flying little cessnas. I had a couple hours into it then college got in the way and i never followed up. Hope to get back into it someday.....

I got a gift certificate for a glider ride in Plymouth for my birthday once. It was an awesome flight and I got some incredible pictures. The pilot that took me up crashed it into the trees at the edge of the runway a few months later and was killed.

I got a gift certificate for a glider ride in Plymouth for my birthday once. It was an awesome flight and I got some incredible pictures. The pilot that took me up crashed it into the trees at the edge of the runway a few months later and was killed.

That's too bad - RIP....I never thought of checking the safety track record of these things

I've been a pilot for around 20 years, but I've never tried gliders before.

I was talking to a guy who flies them and he was telling me that a good glider pilot can ride the thermals for hundreds of miles.

They have a course they fly thats basically up & down the spine of the Allegheny Mountains.

They can stay up for as long as they have sunlight.

Acutally much of the "ridge running" is not thermal flight but done on ridge lift. It could very well be some thermal time but they pretty much use the wind current as it is forced upwards when it hits the face or slope of the hill. The maximum lift is usually just behind the top of the ridge. Go too far leeward of the ridge and it many times becomes sink (down draft) or go to far windward and you loose the lift on the pressure wave. I took sailplane lessons way back but couldn't finish the 10 hour stick time as I lost my job. Paying for the CFIG (Certified flight instructor for gliders), the sailplane and the tow up 2000 ft was then beyond my means. I never went back to finish but instead spent the next 35 years flying model sailplanes which I became right good at if I do say so myself.

If you've never done it, YES, do it!!

Years ago, I went to a copper council meeting in Arizona and one day was a golf outing.

Since I don't golf, I went on this extreme soaring ride.

They take you up, and the pilot sits behind you.

He lets you fly it around.

Then he goes wild, doing dives, upside down, it was crazy.

When I got out, I could hardly stand up straight.

It was very cool, though, soaring over the desert with no sound but the wind.