Mike_Z

Fish ID

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

It's just a brown with very prominent spots, there's a great deal of variation in how browns look and it's definitely not a landlock.

JC

I think she is a brown from pristine waters and very good genetic, definetly beautiful fish, I wish that you have returned this fish to the water so the genetic will continue. And just guessing that she is a female because the shape of the head and the shape seems like she is near the spawning. Who knows.

That one is a puzzler. It definitely doesn't look like any tiger trout that I have seen. The three things that have me wondering whether it is a cross-breed are the slightly forked tail, the green coloration on the top of the head, and the number of spots. Taken by themselves I might be able to write each f these characteristics off as natural variation among brown trout, but it would be a pretty uniqe fish to have these variations show up in one fish.

1) Brown trout generally have squared off tails, except for when they are very small. Atlantic salmon have slightly forked tails, and they can interbreed.

2) Brown trout do not generally have green coloration. Thay can have what is generally described as a somewhat olive hue, but this looks pretty much like bright green.

3) The number, size and shape of the spots is not your typical brown trout coloration. The number and irregularity of the spots is more reminiscent of coastal cutthroat and rainbow trout that I have caught in Alaska, though the size is not. Brown trout have larger spots than those two species, though generally not as many. I have seen larger browns with many spots, though they are generally smaller spots. I think that the spots become more prominent during spawning,and browns do spawn in the fall.

4) Head shape and jaw shape are definitely not typical for a brown. The head is smaller and shorter than typical, and the jaw is more like a rainbow or other western trout species than a true trout (which have longer jaws). Atlantic salmon typically have smaller heads in relation to their body, but the head shape and jaw shape are simlar to brown trout from the pictures that I have seen.

5) The body shape is also atypical for browns. In the second picture it appears to taper off significantly in the back half of the fish, but that looks like it might be because the rod handle is covering and shadowing the lower part of the fish in that area.

The only real way to tell what is to count fin rays and look at the teeth. If I had to make a guess, I wouuld guess that it is just a sea-run or estuarine brown trout. The silverish color indicates this. Purely freshwater browns get more colorful at spawning time. Ocean going browns get silvery like Atlantic salmon. Ocean going ffish grow more rapidly, yielding smaller heads in relation to body size for smaller fish. If the fish was also young, it would explain the slightly forked tail. Sea-run borowns have many of the characteristis of Atlantic salmon (since they are related). Was this caught on Long Island?

Thanks for the replies. Some more info and 2 more closeup pictures.

The fish is definitely not a sea run brown. It was caught and released in one of the Catskill Mountains streams.

The fish took a dry caddis and jumped like a rainbow trout. I've caught many trout in this particular stream and this fish is like nothing I have ever seen there. :confused:

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2459749/width/600/height/338]

I have virtually no problem with the coloration for a Brown trout. There are a number of races that are much more heavily spotted and show no pink spots at all. The spotting pattern on the head and gill plate is pure Brown, or at least Salmo, as in At.Salm./landlock/Brown. That said, I agree that the head configuration and tail look less Brown-like.. Given the water, it would seem the only hybrid possibilities would be with Brook and Rainbow. It looks nothing like a Tiger (Brook x Brown).

Finding GOOD information on so-called Brown-Bow trout on the internet is difficult. In spite of lots of people claiming to catch Brown-bows lots...and never getting pictures of them....reminiscint of Bigfoot sightings, the only firm info is from hatchery...purposeful experimental corssings. The fish were very difficult to cross, and raise, and had serious physical problems including cataracts. I was only able to find one picture of a brown-bow....and it looked nothing like the above trout.

All in all, I would characterize it as a Brown. Mutants occur. Individuals on the fars ends of the morphology spectrum occur. Trout morphology, even in the face of good genetics, is pretty wild anyway.

My $.02

Peter Patricelli

So I know this is a 7 year old thread, but I caught a weird fish and this is the closest thing I've found online.  Now, mine's got a yellow cast to it and a square tail, which makes me think its just a weirdly colored Brown, but it's got the same weird spot pattern as yours.  What do you all think?

6ab9c7fa-52bf-4275-92cb-db68d23c35c8.jpg

19aaeb7e-632f-4c29-a21b-bb9aa0e2bef6.jpg

Agree Brown trout.  Based on mouth size (wild fish like the ones below have bigger mouths) and ventral fin damage from the hatchery, i believe these are both stocked fish.  Definitely not criticizing your quarry - just playing sherlock - i.e. check your state or local club stocking program to see what they put in - if they stock browns this is probably one of them. 

2013-YC- BetterBrown.JPG

2017-YellowCreek-128.JPG

2015-YC-057-5-15 ThreeTree-F13-BR9b2.jpg

Brown Trout.

I love how much brown trout vary in color and shape from strain, origin, region, season, and body of water. The fact that they are notorious for eating big things excites me too! :D 

Alan

I keep wondering about this, so I guess I'll ask, what is so odd about that brown? Is it stranger than these, I wonder? Brown trout be diverse!

2006-03-24 13-56-34_0054.JPG

2008 Ireland 080.jpg

Edited by Steve Schullery