Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

Who's flyfishing the surf now

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I been out several time now with little results nothing worth writing home to Mom about . I haven't seen any sand eels yet but plenty of anchovy's and size 2 and 1/0 chart white clousers have been the key for me so far I even caught a double header the other day

One 33" bass Thursday on the backside just before sun rise on a chartreuse/white Blonde, nothing friday a.m. same spot. Too cold for me today. My fingers just don't work when it gets below 40. Looking forward to Monday and Tuesday - 44 degrees forecast mild winds. Got my fingers crossed.

In between the wind of course.

hahaha! So I'm new to the area and saltwater flyfishing in general as a transplant from the Pacific Northwest. I'm about an hour's drive from the Hook, and I've been out three times- including yesterday. Hit out front at about 1:30pm. What a joke. I've been working through Rich Murphy's book and I thought that I'd at least get a chance to work on my water reading. Nada. Casted into a STIFF NNE and about killed myself with a good size half and half. A few bait guys out (even they headed in early), and I'm sure they all had a good laugh.

I'll be heading to the Fall Classic at IBSP. Looking forward to meeting a few people and learning from them. I'm glad to hear that someone is catching something. I was beginning to think that this whole thing was a hoax. :) Really really looking forward to my first striper on the fly.

Hit it for 3 days last wk,day 1 w/ one 5lb'er,day 2,10' waves and 25mph wind,didn't even cast,day 3 nothing,fished in muddy water.N Jetty was only place I could get near the water to cast and that only on low tide so I split.

I've had a lot of fish in the back, mostly on Jiggys and Clousers. It seems like any time I've had the opportunity to fish out front, it's been howling out of the east.

Northern OC.

Monday afternoon at sunset - a 12 incher (wow!) in the surf. sandeel Bob Pop Jiggy

Tuesday morning just before sunrise - a 30 incher (really wow!) in the surf. Sandeel Bob Pop Jiggy.

Wednesday on the backside - zippo - Clousers and Blondes.

The best is yet to come, but my fingers don't like the the cold. Time to trade striped bass for snook, socks for flip flops.

Fished Friday and Saturday with mstone and some other folks from ASWF. Friday night the wind was tough off the jetty at IBSP, but early Saturday am, the wind laid down some and I landed 5-6 off the jetty on olive over white deceivers, before I lost the end of my sinking line in the rocks trying to release a schoolie. Saturday afternoon when the tide was out, we waded out onto a few different sandbars, and picked up a few more on 6" sand eel patterns. The wind picked back up, and made casting tough, so we headed down to the pocket (The jetty blocked out the wind, made casting much easier). I didn't pick up anything in the pocket myself, but saw a few more get pulled in. I couldn't fish Sunday, but I heard Sunday had the best weather out of the three days of the event...

-Brian

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2484763/width/600/height/450]