Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stax

Fishing, Western Australian Style

Rate this topic

141 posts in this topic

G'day to everybody, it's been a while since my last post and thought I would drop a quick post for you.

Last week John and I took a leisurely 1700Km (1060 Mile) round trip to the greatest Land Based Game Fishing Mecca known to man. A Place called "Steep Point". Accessible only by 4 x 4 and 150Kms (120 Miles) of sand track, this is one remote spot.

With that said, its remoteness makes it what it is. It is the Western most Point of Mainland Australia, and the Continental Shelf is within spitting range. Get out your atlas's or look for it on the web.

Here is a picture taken about 5Kms (4 Miles) south of Steep Point.The cliff ledge is 85 Metres above the water, but its infested with Snapper, a great eating fish. This is where you go to fill your freezer.

85metre.jpg

This picture is of a Spanish mackerel, the front one, hooked up and a second Spanish following it everywhere.

2spanish.jpg

This is me with that Spanish mackerel, its 34lb.You can make out the cliff gaff we use.

staxfish1.jpg

I hope this post comes out OK, and I hope some of you visit our little website here down under.

Tight lines..and if it ain't Steep Point it ain't worth it.

Stax

85 feet above water - A> I'm afraid of hieghts. B> You're wearing sneakers and the ground looks uneven. C> you're out of your freaking mind, get a boat and just fish on the water where you can use a regular gaff.

Imagine the horror stories that "rock" has of people falling.

I'm waiting to hear about people Hang Gliding off that peak with a rod/reel & a lure attached & hear them call it "trolling".

85 Ft!!! I think he said Meters!!!!! He's fishing 200 plus feet down the side of a cliff!!!!! I hope I set that drag just loose enough not to take me with it!!!!! Damn!!!!

Australians are so gnarly and tough...you look you are ready for a stroll in the park instead of a battle with big game 200 feet over the water..Over here guys would be wearing $2000 get ups, surf belts, spike shoes and harnesses etc. just to walk out on those rocks. Just another day for an Aussie I guess icon14.gif