Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CHIEF500

Interesting walk today

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I got down to fish this afternoon around 1pm. The wind was cranking, I geared up, grabbed all the heavier metal and teasers I could slide into my plug bag and started to walk the beach. I look up the beach a see 4 kites used by wind surfer types way north of where I was. My plan was to walk north into the wind work an area I wanted to work since I heard they had fish there this morning and walk south with the wind and fish my way back to my Jeep. I start walking and look up and see the first of the wind surfing guys flying way up in the air off of a wave. There are 2 of them together and they are riding the waves in and out from the beach. They both go by me and then I see the next 2 moving into the area where I'm walking. The last guy is running in towards the beach and gets dumped. He gets squared away and is standing in the trough, the water is shoulder deep and he's not moving, He's the last guy and I'm thinking if this other guy continues on I'm gonna have to help this guy. His kite is in the water and won't lift, I'm figuring it took on water and won't clear so he's screwed. I can see him working the lines to flip the kite and trying to get it air born, no go. The third guy stops and see's his buddy in trouble and works back towards him. He gets off his board and helps him retreive his stuff. 003.JPG

004.JPG

He then gathers his board and heads back out.

005.JPG

006.JPG

Surf boarder No 4 lays his kite down to gather his surf board which was north of us.

007.JPG

and heads back to get his kite and head out.

008.JPG

Uneventful after that. No fish, plenty of wind.

Oh I did find 2 nice pieces of sea glass while I was walking.

A light blue colored bottle bottom and a green bottle neck piece.

Guys must have been pros to be out in this wind. Wondering how you made out.

Get a nice jar and collect the glass. It makes a nice ornament. I've got jars and bags all around the house. It's something to do during the walk. :)

always see them at Sandy Hook on the bay side where it's alot safer...i fished yesterday from Seaside Park to Point Pleasant and it was brutal with that wind. My buddy took three waves to the chin.Lots of birds diving out of reach...no fish

Hey NJ guys,

I'm living on the coast south of San Francisco now, but originally from S. Jersey. I've been lurking on the NJ forum for the last couple of weeks because I'm headed your way next week to see if I can bag a couple of East Coast fish (which make the West Coast version look like babies!). I couldn't help but notice Chief500's post with the kitesurfers. When I'm not fishing, I'm kitesurfing - about 150 days a year, actually. Add in another 50 days of surfing and 40 days of fishing, no wonder my wife says I love the ocean more than her (I'm pretty sure I do, but that's a topic for another post).

From what I can see in the pictures, Chief500 was watching some pretty highly skilled riders. The strapless surfboards carried by 2 of the riders tips me off. Only really good riders can even come close to staying on a board that doesn't have footstraps, especially in surf.

Kites hold a lot of power, and the kite and lines can be very dangerous if they hit you. As someone who fishes & kites, I'd like to pass along a few facts and tips for anyone who hasn't seen a lot of kiting to keep everyone safe:

1. Kites are very controllable - most riders are able to steer the kite wherever they want, whenever they want. This helps for doing tricks or maneuvering into the perfect spot to ride a wave

2. Kites do crash - when riders are pushing their limits, they'll occasionally crash. Kites float and are built to relaunch pretty easily. You'll probably see the kiter pulling the on the control bar or lines to move the kite into the launch position. In waves, it's a little harder to relaunch if the kite gets mowed down by some whitewater. In those cases, the kiter may just eject everything and swim to the beach to recover his gear (that's what happened in Chief's case - except the guy who crashed had some help from his buddy getting the gear to the beach).

3. DON'T HELP unless you know what you're doing. Unless the rider is in extreme distress, just stay away from him and his gear and let him sort it out. If we're riding in the ocean, the wind is probably side-onshore, so even if the **** hits the fan, everything - kite, board, rider - will end up washing up on the beach eventually. Most ocean riding is considered the Double-Black Diamond run of kiting, so the guys out there probably know what they're doing.

4. STAY AWAY from the kite and lines - If the rider is in extreme distress - shouting for help, getting dragged down the beach uncontrollably, etc, go for the kiter first. The harnesses we use have handles on the lower back. Grab the handle and hold on. The extra weight of another person will help anchor the kite and give the rider a chance to get things under control.

5. CUT LINES - under extreme circumstances (like the rider hit something and is unconscious), go to the rider and cut all lines at the control bar except one. Kites are controlled by 3 or 4 lines attached to the control bar. If you leave one attached, it will "flag out" the kite on the one line, basically completely depowering it. If you cut all lines, the kite will blow away uncontrollably and may hurt someone else down the beach, so try to leave one attached. If you don't have a knife handy, search the rider's harness. Most of us carry safety knives tucked into our harnesses in case we need to cut away ourselves.

6. Stop and say hello - most of the time, fishermen and kiters won't interact. Afterall, are you really going to be on the beach fishing when it's blowing 20+? If you do get a chance to say hi, definitely do it. We all share a passion for the ocean, and we have a lot more in common that you think. If you see a kiter rigging up, ask him to show you how everything works. 99% of the guys will gladly talk to you about what they do and how it works. Don't be offended if they're a little short with you, though. If you saw fish busting some bait while you were in the parking lot putting on your waders, would you spend a lot of time talking to a tourist? You'd say hi, be polite, but bust out of there as quickly as possible, right? Same deal for kiters. If the wind is blowing, we want to get out there. See - we have a lot in common!

Anyway - sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps. I'll be around LBI next week looking for wind, waves and fish. Hopefully they will be something to keep me busy (otherwise, I'll be spending a lot of time at the bar). See you out there!

Brian

Brain, good post, thanks for sharing the kite surfing information.

You had it right, the guys knew what they were doing. They would turn on a dime and catch waves.

The guy was letting things move to the beach. I wasn't going to get involved unless he need the help.

We shared a few comments and went on our way.

Since your gonna be in the area, if you wanna meet some SOLer's we'll be in Seaside Park next weekend.

I fished the north end of LBI this afternoon with no luck.