Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
highstrung

Dan Blanton's Darting Jig Hook Sea Habit Fly?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I read with interest Dan Blanton's fly tying article this month in Fly Fishing in Saltwaters magazine called the Darting Jig Hook Sea Habit. I've used a few jig hooks for tying with good results but the keel weighting is new to me. Would love to get the darting action without feeling like I'm trying to throw a mirrolure with a fly line. Anyone have any tips, comments, etc??

Highstrung,

Keel weighting has been around for some time. I like using the hareline tungston nymph weights to keel weight my flies. They work really well and tied on either a j-hook or 60* bend jig hook will impart a darting action into the fly. The key is to add the weight about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way back onto the shank. American Angler magazine July/August issue has an entire piece dedicated to keel weighting.

HC

He is on the westcoast and was an Editor for Angler Magazine which was almost exclusively westcoast. Angler magazine came out in the early 1970's, I believe 1974 and out of all of the fishing magazines I have ever seen it had the best photography. Dan was famous for his chain drift method flyfishing for stripers in the San Francisco Bay from a skiff. He also invented the "whistler fly" which was a bucktail fly palmered with large saddle hackles at the eye. I believe that he still guides up in the San Joaquin Delta but I am not sure. Harry Bode was also a contributing editor to the magazine. Winch and the Bode family are friends as far as I know ;)