Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BranfordJeff

My daughter wants an acoustic guitar for Christmas, looking for recommendations

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Looking for an entry level but decent acoustic guitar recommendation for a 15 year old girl, in the $100 range, if that's possible, I have no idea, for something she can learn on and will not be a waste if she's dedicated a few years down the road. 

Any help out there? 

Go used. Check Craigs List. Don't go big-time, she may not get the bug. If she does, there is plenty of time and she will develop preferences. I don't play, but I have a bunch of friends that do.

Yamaha is good guitar. Don't go too cheap or it will not stay in tune, I would go to around $200+ to keep from wasting your money. Go used if you can to get most bang for buck. Inexpensive guitars have strings too high off the fret board and the necks warp or move a lot.

Maybe have her take lessons for a month then decide. If she shows interest then go to the $350+ range. Here you will see Ovation, Seagull(best bang for your daughter out there), and others of better quality.

Great recommendations & advice so far, thank you so much!. Kid lives with mom, out of state. I doubt mom would drive her to the lessons just to put the screws to me, that's how she is. Any advice on atlernate training is well apreciated. 

Trying to do the best I can here, I thank you all for our consideration! 

Find out what kind of music is her favorite and search Musicians Friend dot com for DVD's and or books that teach that type of music. If she is learning something she will know and enjoy it will work much better. Hal Leonard is the most favored I know of, but there are others as well.

Oh, and get her a tuner as well, usually in the 20 to 30 dollar range. Will be invaluable to her. Make sure it is for guitar and if you can find one that lets you do multiple different tunings that is better. Drop D is a fun tuning for people to learn in.

Yamaha is good guitar. Don't go too cheap or it will not stay in tune, I would go to around $200+ to keep from wasting your money. Go used if you can to get most bang for buck. Inexpensive guitars have strings too high off the fret board and the necks warp or move a lot.

Maybe have her take lessons for a month then decide. If she shows interest then go to the $350+ range. Here you will see Ovation, Seagull(best bang for your daughter out there), and others of better quality.

I'd agree with those Yamaha's. They sound better than you'd think and they play pretty nice. I like Ovations a lot. I have a pretty nice Washburn, but I've played a lot better for less money.

Jeff I have an electric she can have, if she wants to try that route too. It was the one that came free with a Volkswagen car purchase a few years back. Its nothing special, but its still "new" and surprisingly plays very nice for a beginner type guitar. Certainly no Fender strat, but Its perfect for the "im not so sure this is for me" type person to build their skills on. Unfortunately its at my house in southern NJ, but I can get it to you sometime before Christmas. Let me know if you want it.

-Mike S.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea robin 51 View Post

Jeff I have an electric she can have, if she wants to try that route too. It was the one that came free with a Volkswagen car purchase a few years back. Its nothing special, but its still "new" and surprisingly plays very nice for a beginner type guitar. Certainly no Fender strat, but Its perfect for the "im not so sure this is for me" type person to build their skills on. Unfortunately its at my house in southern NJ, but I can get it to you sometime before Christmas. Let me know if you want it.

-Mike S.

This we can talk about!!!! cwm27.gif

Yeah, I'm in. Probably need a little amp, huh? I know dick about guitars other than I know good guitar when I hear it. 

By the way, if any of you have never met sea Robin 51, this kid is TOP NOTCH! I have met him, and I know our future will be fine if at least 50% of kids nowadays are even 50% as good a kid as he is. Definitely one of my favorite SOL friends. Top 50 for sure before tonight, top 10 now! LOL! 

I think I have a little marshall amp too--tiny little guy. If I still have it, she can have that too. Both are getting no love in the basement and might as well go to a good home

QVC shopping channel has the Estabon special which comes with cords(note combinations) every christmas and it is a decent guitar. You normally see him around christmas time so keep an eye on the shopping channels. :D It comes with a starter kit on how to play. ;)

-Mike S.

What an awesome ******* offer. This place rocks.

Btw, how big/tall is your daughter? They have smaller youth sizes and it might be worth a trip to the local Guitar Center (or where ever) just to 'fit' her even if you ultimately plan on buying on line through Craigs List or some other similar route