Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJTramcar

Bucktail tying/flying tying classes

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I've read articles and watched videos but before I start tying, does anyone know of a class in Mercer County on tying bucktails and teasers? I think I'm ready, I'd just like to see it done live before I start. Sportsman's Center doesn't offer them anymore.

Honestly, the basics are so simple (which is all you need to make bucktails & teasers) that the videos you've seen should be enough to get you started. That being said, the Atlantic Saltwater Flyrodders used to hold "fly tying nights" where members got together and tied flies, share techniques, shot the breeze, etc. I haven't been a member in that club for a couple of years, but I thought those were the best nights. (Come to think of it, I should re-join.)

Some other fly fishing clubs might offer the same type of thing, or someone here could probably show you a thing or two. I am no expert, but if you are going to be down the the northern ocean county area, I can show you how to put bucktail and feathers on a hook, etc.

If you chill untill after the holidays, I would be glad to do some tying with you...

Right now its fishing, work and the holidays will be here before you know it. Take a drive down to my house some day. in January. Ill make some coffee and we will do some tying....flys, bucktails..whatever

Frank that sounds like a deal, thank you! Just being able to ask about material and your experience is going to be great, bring on January!

I think I can handle most of it. The tying the knot at the end with the tool looks like it might be tricky the first few times.

You don't use a whipping tool to tie off the thread on a bucktail. Do it the same way you finish a wrap on a rod using a loop.

I have to tie up a handful myself, figured I'd do it while watching Monday night football. You're welcome to stop by. (I'm in Manalapan)

Its all good man...Glad to help....

And don't stress about anything! The most deterring thing one can do is over complicate this fun and rewarding past time.

Don't worry about the tool. It's easier than you think.

The SJCFA had good video on how to use a whip finishing tool. We did it years ago. Pretty sure its still there.

Maybe we will all go hang at Sudsy's !

after the holidays for me....ill be fishing every day off until after the holidays.....then theres honey do...the holidays...and pull the boat...

if you would like to then, it would be fun..pm me for contact information

Well, the holidays are over. I tried to make a bucktail myself and while there is plenty wrong with it, I am strangely like it for some reason.

Is anyone available to meet?